Original six
Participant
@original-six

What do you guys think? … I can appreciate the art work and there’s some nice religious art and murals. But I know loads of people with full religious sleeves and never set foot in a church and don’t even know what the elements in there tattoo symbolise. For example. A mate of mine got rosary beads and said he was born a christian but to my knowledge rosarys are catholic?

anonymous
Participant
@anonymous
Original six;111282 wrote:
What do you guys think? … I can appreciate the art work and there’s some nice religious art and murals. But I know loads of people with full religious sleeves and never set foot in a church and don’t even know what the elements in there tattoo symbolise. For example. A mate of mine got rosary beads and said he was born a christian but to my knowledge rosarys are catholic?

This sounds like most Christians.

Original six
Participant
@original-six
D3FiANC3;111284 wrote:
This sounds like most Christians.

I dno dude, I’m pretty sure the rosery beads are a catholic thing,

BananaBread
Participant
@bananabread

I’m of the opinion that if you like something, even if it’s just the look of something, and it’s your body then do whatever the hell you like. Not every tattoo has to have some deep meaningful story behind it. I wouldn’t have a problem with someone with religious art work on them as long as when I asked why they gave me the real reason be it “I’m super religious and this means that etc” or “I just love this style of art”.

anonymous
Participant
@anonymous
A mate of mine got rosary beads and said he was born a christian but to my knowledge rosarys are catholic?

If you are a Catholic, you must be a Christian, but you don’t have to be a Catholic to be Christian.

Original six;111285 wrote:
I dno dude, I’m pretty sure the rosery beads are a catholic thing,

That’s not what I meant. What I meant was that Christians are notorious for being hypocrites. For example, Christians in America often preach about tolerance and acceptance, but what they mean is “tolerance and acceptance for Christians.” If you’re an American and have left the house in the last decade, watched the news, or even used a social networking site, you will have heard heard the speech about “one nation under God.”

BananaBread;111291 wrote:
I’m of the opinion that if you like something, even if it’s just the look of something, and it’s your body then do whatever the hell you like. Not every tattoo has to have some deep meaningful story behind it. I wouldn’t have a problem with someone with religious art work on them as long as when I asked why they gave me the real reason be it “I’m super religious and this means that etc” or “I just love this style of art”.

I disagree. Perhaps something like the The Creation of Adam by Michelangelo, which has it’s own intrinsic artistic value is one thing, but crosses, rosary beads, and so forth are something else entirely. Those are symbols of faith and if you don’t believe and still get them inked, you’re just a poser. Sure, its’ your body and you can do as you wish – but you’re still a poser.

BananaBread
Participant
@bananabread
D3FiANC3;111304 wrote:
I disagree. Perhaps something like the The Creation of Adam by Michelangelo, which has it’s own intrinsic artistic value is one thing, but crosses, rosary beads, and so forth are something else entirely. Those are symbols of faith and if you don’t believe and still get them inked, you’re just a poser. Sure, its’ your body and you can do as you wish – but you’re still a poser.

I was more referring to depictions of saints etc rather than a straight up cross when I referred to an artistic style.I see what you mean about things like crosses and rosary beads. To be honest when I see someone with a cross tattoo (mostly celtic style around here) I don’t automatically think christian, but that could be because I’m so far removed from religion that those symbols don’t have any meaning to me. That’s why I wouldn’t have it on me, to me those symbols are just uninteresting but more power to what anyone else wants to do, just don’t give me some bullshit reason about how you’ve been the most devout christian your whole life (when you know you haven’t), just admit you were drunk, young, trying to impress someone, your mum said the only tattoo you could have was a cross or in the words of D3FIANC3, you’re a poser! And those people that do have faith and wish to express it on their skin then I’m all for that too!

Original six
Participant
@original-six
D3FiANC3;111304 wrote:

I’m with you on that one

GrayCatLove
Participant
@graycatlove
A mate of mine got rosary beads and said he was born a christian but to my knowledge rosarys are catholic?

Catholics are Christian. Christians follow Christ. Catholics follow Christ. Catholicism is a form of Christianity.

And if this is a joke, you got me going.

Original six
Participant
@original-six
GrayCatLove;111329 wrote:
Catholics are Christian. Christians follow Christ. Catholics follow Christ. Catholicism is a form of Christianity.

And if this is a joke, you got me going.

Nope serious post just wondering wat everyone thinks about religious art on people who arnt

Sherav
Participant
@sherav

I have no issue with people who are not devout believers getting religious symbols tattooed.

The argument has many levels;

Because somebody gets a piece of art (religious or otherwise) because they like the art and beauty of it they are not a poser they are appreciating art for the sake of art.

If we were to apply this rule to all ink it would make the majority of us posers’ as we enjoy our ink on a basic level for the art alone (even if there are other deeper meanings).

Faith itself has got nothing to do with whether you attend a religious establishment – many people choose to pray daily do scripture readings etc in the privacy of their own home. That is why many people who do get faith based tattoos but do not attend a church, temple, mosque etc

It does not make a person any less devout or more so if you attend a religious service. It is your actions not attendance that defines whether you are a good christian, jew, muslim etc.

I follow my own faith strongly (including daily prayers and scripture readings and attending services) however because I am a Jew and tattooed to many of my peers I am a ‘hypocrite’. As I say everybody does bad shit get over it or get off.

My argument is I don’t need their approval I do what I do for personal reasons and the same applies to my tattoos.

Take care
Matthew

mrchen
Participant
@mrchen

Mathew says it well,

being ostricized by your own people is tough, I get alot of rejection as a believer in my faith who is heavily tattooed, people judge the books cover, they dont read the book or try to find out any information

GrayCatLove
Participant
@graycatlove

That’s unfortunate, Matthew, but from what little I can tell, you’re a good Jewish man who honors his faith.

bluey
Participant
@bluey

You run the risk of being lumped with the fanatics and getting something that may have a totally different meaning, but it doesn’t really matter. How many people with Kanji tattoos can speak Japanese?

anonymous
Participant
@anonymous
Sherav;111346 wrote:
I have no issue with people who are not devout believers getting religious symbols tattooed.

The argument has many levels;

Because somebody gets a piece of art (religious or otherwise) because they like the art and beauty of it they are not a poser they are appreciating art for the sake of art.

If we were to apply this rule to all ink it would make the majority of us posers’ as we enjoy our ink on a basic level for the art alone (even if there are other deeper meanings).

Faith itself has got nothing to do with whether you attend a religious establishment – many people choose to pray daily do scripture readings etc in the privacy of their own home. That is why many people who do get faith based tattoos but do not attend a church, temple, mosque etc

It does not make a person any less devout or more so if you attend a religious service. It is your actions not attendance that defines whether you are a good christian, jew, muslim etc.

I follow my own faith strongly (including daily prayers and scripture readings and attending services) however because I am a Jew and tattooed to many of my peers I am a ‘hypocrite’. As I say everybody does bad shit get over it or get off.

My argument is I don’t need their approval I do what I do for personal reasons and the same applies to my tattoos.

Take care
Matthew

You’re taking an argument against say an atheist getting a tattoo like this:

… and going in a completely different direction with it. I completely agree with you that one’s attendance at church and so forth has absolutely nothing to do with their faith. I would also go a step further and say that many things (such as “making marks on the skin”) can be interpreted differently by different people and thus, doing something in opposition to what is is generally accepted within one’s faith doesn’t necessarily mean a damn thing in regards to their overall level of devotion.

However, if an atheist gets a tattoo like the one I linked above, he/she is pretending to be something they’re not. What if I got this tattoo and I had never served in the Army, nor was I getting the tattoo to honor anyone who had?

SA_tattoo_072309_2m.jpg

And yep, people are entitled to get whatever they want inked on them, but just like the rich suburbanite who listens to gangster rap and talks about the life on the streets that he never actually lived, people like this are posers.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.