GrayCatLove
Participant
@graycatlove

I’ve done a little research on this, and I realize most Buddhist monks won’t do sak yant without an assistant. Can anyone tell me how this works? Do I bring my own male assistant or will they grab some non-monk male off the street? I’m thinking about going on holiday and getting one, but I’m not sure if I should even consider it, or at least go with a smaller design. Any advice?

peterpoose
Participant
@peterpoose

Proper Sak Yant tattoos are only for men in their traditional sense, done by priests and holy men?

Just what I read before somewhere and that women and tourists would be refused?

In this day and age lol

I might be totally wrong, anyone know? I like this type of tattoo and the ceremonies behind them.

GrayCatLove
Participant
@graycatlove

Sak Yant can be done for women, but only with an assistant, and only a handful of monks will do it.

There’s no real definitive resource for finding out who will do what, though. Probably the most sensitive issue I have is the whole “assistant” thing and how that works.

But yes, tourists can and do get them – An uncle of mine lives in Thailand, and they’re gaining popularity.

peterpoose
Participant
@peterpoose
GrayCatLove;109931 wrote:
Sak Yant can be done for women, but only with an assistant, and only a handful of monks will do it.

There’s no real definitive resource for finding out who will do what, though. Probably the most sensitive issue I have is the whole “assistant” thing and how that works.

But yes, tourists can and do get them – An uncle of mine lives in Thailand, and they’re gaining popularity.

Aha, good to know. I did read that the Thais were trying to clamp down on it as a tourist souvenir because it is going against the real meaning of them and religion?

GrayCatLove
Participant
@graycatlove

Like everywhere else in the world, temples are able to operate based off money. If you donate generously, chances are, you’ll get your tattoo. It is now more popular than ever. Of course, now, many tattoo shops offer similar tattoos done with guns (and, arguably, these often look nicer). Tourists would rather have something long-term for their souvenirs, as actual sak yant tend to fade and turn green, and aren’t done in the most hygienic conditions. With sak yant, you usually do not select where what you’re getting, though money talks. (And, being stabbed by hand takes a lot longer than a nice little gun.)

I’d love to have sak yant, but I certainly don’t wish to tempt any man who has given his life to relinquish desire. (Well, assuming a tall old white girl is a temptation is being mighty full of myself. :D)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.