Harley2290
Participant
@harley2290

Been drawing a little over 1 month now, hoping to become an apprentice eventually! Thought id share some of my newest drawings, and i was wondering if you guys think i have the ability and could eventually make it as a tattoo artist?
opinions and advice please:
image.jpgimage.jpg
trafford2012031100663.jpg
img2012030900653.jpg
trafford2012031100661.jpg
428653_2775457431628_1413845998_32009842_6624898.jpg

Harley2290
Participant
@harley2290

No opinions? Really would like some comments! 🙂

ArniVidar
@arnividar

Such impatience.
Try giving it 4 days instead of 4 hours, and you may get some replies.

That being said, nothing’s changed since your last posts in here. You are years away from being good, but you show promise and will probably get there in the end.

GrayCatLove
Participant
@graycatlove

We’ve seen the snake and the skull before. I don’t want to snap at you, but why on Earth would you repost the same thing expecting a different reaction?

Amok
Participant
@amok
GrayCatLove;109710 wrote:
We’ve seen the snake and the skull before. I don’t want to snap at you, but why on Earth would you repost the same thing expecting a different reaction?

Isn’t that the definition of madness?

GrayCatLove
Participant
@graycatlove
Amok;109723 wrote:
Isn’t that the definition of madness?

I’ve heard that, but I can deal with crazy a lot better than whatever this is.

I love looking at people’s art and I don’t want to jump onto anyone who’s trying to grow as an artist, but it’s very frustrating to spend time looking at someone’s work only to have them repost the same stuff and not listen. Also seen some of the others before. It’s the artistic version of, “Do these jeans make me look fat?” If you’re that worried, change. Don’t keep fishing for compliments.

ArniVidar
@arnividar
GrayCatLove;109724 wrote:
It’s the artistic version of, “Do these jeans make me look fat?” If you’re that worried, change. Don’t keep fishing for compliments.

Quoted for truth and prosperity 🙂

mrchen
Participant
@mrchen

There are parts out of proportion, your drawing is ok if you were a middle school kid, it will not be good enough for an apprentice,

people have given you advice, you dont listen at all,

get to school take some classes, your kind fellow students and teacher will show you were you are messing up, I dont have time to write it allup so you can understand it,

these wont work

Harley2290
Participant
@harley2290

Well im 18 years old so ive got a good few years left to improve before i can think about doing an apprenticeship… i’ve never taken an art class, i study biology chemistry and philosophy and art is more of a lifelong passion, i simply cant see myself doing science as a career and i really feel that tattooiing is something i could be good at and have a real passion for. Where do i start? I really don’t have the money to join an art class so surely there has to be a way of teaching myself to improve? I really don’t mean to be an annoyance, i just want to get better.

DavidJednat
Participant
@davidjednat

Start by using real photos as references. If you want to draw a koi, find a REAL picture of a koi. Same goes with skulls and women and roses, etc… You can’t run before you can crawl. Don’t worry about color or shading yet. Work on your basic shapes that make up an image. Focus on line drawings first.

BertNaked
Participant
@bertnaked

That skull made me want to kill myself.

Harley2290
Participant
@harley2290
BertNaked;109776 wrote:
That skull made me want to kill myself.

Not sure if this is a pure piss take of my work or a compliment. I actually put many hours into my drawings so i hope people actually think they have potential. Bit disheartening to just see walls of flaming

GrayCatLove
Participant
@graycatlove
Harley2290;109771 wrote:
Well im 18 years old so ive got a good few years left to improve before i can think about doing an apprenticeship… i’ve never taken an art class, i study biology chemistry and philosophy and art is more of a lifelong passion, i simply cant see myself doing science as a career and i really feel that tattooiing is something i could be good at and have a real passion for. Where do i start? I really don’t have the money to join an art class so surely there has to be a way of teaching myself to improve? I really don’t mean to be an annoyance, i just want to get better.

If you’re studying biology and chemistry, I am sure your college insists you take at least one humanities class. Make it an art class.

And no, you can’t “teach yourself” to get better. Pierina Legnani did not “teach herself better.” Salvador Dali did not “teach himself better.” Misha Gordin did not “teach himself better.” All artists working with different mediums, but all the greats first had to learn the basics. They didn’t simply get linked to Youtube videos and become amazing artists. They had to humble themselves and be willing to learn rather than making people look at their same six drawings over and over.

kittykat200
Participant
@kittykat200

guys, can i remind you, the kid is 18 and asking for advice, you dont need to ear rape the poor sod.

there are often free or very cheap art classes in local community or youth centres (not all colleges make you take a humanities class) you can also buy books on the basics of drawings these will help you to learn that you do not draw what you see, you draw things as a selection of unrelated shapes, circles traingles, squares etc that when put together create, an eye or a fish etc.

Another way to get good is practice practice practice, spend all of your spare time drawing and it will naturally improve provided you use lots of different references and shapes. I agree with David, dont worry about shading and colouring etc at this point, practice your basic shapes and then when those are amazing, then move on to the next.

You can easily find an art class somewhere that will help you to hone these skills, there are “tricks of the trade” as with anything here, that you can only be shown as it would take many many years to figure these out yourself.

DONT TRACE! i get the feeling that a couple of your pieces in comparison to others may have had a bit of help from some tracing paper, if not i apologise but that is how it looks, tracing is fine, when you already know how to draw but will be counterproductive if you dont know how to create these shapes yourself.

The pictures you have posted arent amazing, nobody would tattoo them, but you have a clear interest in this field and wanting to improve and there is nothing wrong with that, maybe just upload new stuff to your album in future and if people want to comment they will.

Good luck with your art and dont let anyone put you off 😉

GrayCatLove
Participant
@graycatlove
kittykat200;109812 wrote:
guys, can i remind you, the kid is 18 and asking for advice, you dont need to ear rape the poor sod.

there are often free or very cheap art classes in local community or youth centres (not all colleges make you take a humanities class)

Across the pond, when we say “college,” we’re talking about uni, not technical schools. And all accredited universities make you take a humanities class and have art classes.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.