BigZach
Participant
@bigzach

What does everyone think of text tattoos that exceed a few words.. About a paragraph in length would be about right.. I’ve got one in mind that I’ve been trying for the longest time to translate into a symbolic image but it seems to be easier said than done

GrayCatLove
Participant
@graycatlove

I have an entire stanza in Tengwar, so I think it’s a brilliant idea.

I may be slightly biased.

peterpoose
Participant
@peterpoose

I prefer your idea of a wall of text to single line ones.

BigZach
Participant
@bigzach
GrayCatLove;109267 wrote:
I have an entire stanza in Tengwar, so I think it’s a brilliant idea.

I may be slightly biased.

Do you have a picture of it? I’ve been getting ideas off of Google, but I still don’t know how I feel about text tattoos in general.. That may be me being biased as well but I am opening up.. I have found stronger images to symbolize all of mine so far but I’m having an extremely hard time with this one.

peterpoose;109268 wrote:
I prefer your idea of a wall of text to single line ones.

The tattoo would be about 12 lines long, with about 5-8 words in each line, and I am trying not to keep it just text maybe incorporating it in with a design

GrayCatLove
Participant
@graycatlove

You bet your fur. It’s a poor quality picture, but here it is:

29z1nj7.jpg

It really is pretty small, but I’m a smaller person so it looks a little large.

BigZach
Participant
@bigzach
GrayCatLove;109270 wrote:
You bet your fur. It’s a poor quality picture, but here it is:

29z1nj7.jpg

It really is pretty small, but I’m a smaller person so it looks a little large.

That looks well done, I guess the font of the text will play a huge role as well.. But the thing is this has about 4 times as many words as yours and that is what I am unsure about

Adler
Participant
@adler

I’m totally against long text tattoos. In my opinion text looks best as a few word compliment to an image and not as a stand alone tattoo. To me, long text tattoos are unimaginative and lack artistic creativity and have no aesthetic appearance, and typically the characters need to be small and cramped and will not stand up over time. I really can never understand why someone would get a long paragraph of text such as bible verses, poems, etc. when a creative artist can come up with a much more visually appealing image to represent the words. All my personal opinion, though.

BigZach
Participant
@bigzach
Adler;109272 wrote:
I’m totally against long text tattoos. In my opinion text looks best as a few word compliment to an image and not as a stand alone tattoo. To me, long text tattoos are unimaginative and lack artistic creativity and have no aesthetic appearance, and typically the characters need to be small and cramped and will not stand up over time. I really can never understand why someone would get a long paragraph of text such as bible verses, poems, etc. when a creative artist can come up with a much more visually appealing image to represent the words. All my personal opinion, though.

Exactly what I have always thought.. Even about text tattoos in general.. I have never planned on getting one but for a few months I have been trying to find the right pictures with no luck but still looking

GrayCatLove
Participant
@graycatlove

Absolutely. My tattooist was pretty candid and said she was uncomfortable going much smaller. And the fine details of the text are beautiful; she really did a great job. I don’t know how big you are, but I’m pear-shaped and a size 2 – My upper body just doesn’t offer a lot of room.

Like Adler said, if you have to cram, you may be better off with an image. Tiny text simply doesn’t hold up too well. 🙁

BigZach
Participant
@bigzach
GrayCatLove;109275 wrote:
Absolutely. My tattooist was pretty candid and said she was uncomfortable going much smaller. And the fine details of the text are beautiful; she really did a great job. I don’t know how big you are, but I’m pear-shaped and a size 2 – My upper body just doesn’t offer a lot of room.

Like Adler said, if you have to cram, you may be better off with an image. Tiny text simply doesn’t hold up too well. 🙁

Size is not an issue at all, I just need to get back to the drawing boards on this one.. I am not the biggest fan of text tattoos, except for those that are well done which yours is

peterpoose
Participant
@peterpoose
Adler;109272 wrote:

I dunno :rolleyes:

This one is pretty awesome but not strictly just text 🙂

287567Tattoo.jpg

BigZach
Participant
@bigzach

That is an awesome piece of ink…

Adler
Participant
@adler

To be honest, although it’s well done I don’t like the one above either. Seems like a waste of space to me.

And Zach, if you are generally against long text tattoos but an image isn’t coming to you yet, I think you should wat and keep thinking about it. Don’t settle for something that you wouldn’t normally get just because you can’t come up with the right image. Maybe move on to something else in the meantime and be patient until you can figure this out better for yourself. But of course it’s your body so do what you feel is right. Take your time though.

GrayCatLove
Participant
@graycatlove

Thank you. I need to take a better picture; every single accent is actually a series of three fan-shaped marks. Gotta get someone to come over and photograph it better. I’m a huge Tolkein and languages fan, so I was excited to get it. 🙂

BigZach
Participant
@bigzach
Adler;109279 wrote:
To be honest, although it’s well done I don’t like the one above either. Seems like a waste of space to me.

And Zach, if you are generally against long text tattoos but an image isn’t coming to you yet, I think you should wat and keep thinking about it. Don’t settle for something that you wouldn’t normally get just because you can’t come up with the right image. Maybe move on to something else in the meantime and be patient until you can figure this out better for yourself. But of course it’s your body so do what you feel is right. Take your time though.

I am right there with you, that’s what I’ll be doing then. I am wanting to get it before I ship out to basic which is in a few months so I still have time.. Thanks for the advice

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.