kcgreyhound
Participant
@kcgreyhound

Since I’m getting ready for my first multi-session, multi-hour piece, I have a few questions that I was corious about.

When sitting that long, what is the expectation for conversation? Do artists prefer to work in quiet void of chatty conversation?

Another weird one is about music. I’m not a fan of much of the death metal that I’ve heard in some of the shops I’ve visited. Is it cool to request a change of music or to bring my iPod to tune it out?

Finally, if you’re sitting for 3-4 hours, are there breaks?

Any other things I should think about before the sleeve begins?

Thaela
Participant
@thaela

Great questions, I’m curious to know the answers.

I don’t have any tattoos that took multiple hours, and I know its not the same, but when I go have my hair done and it take 2+ hours, I always feel like I’m obligated to talk to the hairdresser the whole time, which feels like work in itself. I never have anything to talk about and it stresses me out more to have to force conversation. Honestly I’d rather just sit there and either read a magazine or just enjoy having my hair played with… lol

For tattoos, I guess for some people the talking and conversation would be a distraction from the pain, but I’m the type that would just rather sit there and not have to force conversation. I feel like its rude not to talk though =( I’m curious how others handle this.

Personally, if the music was really bothering me, maybe I’d ask them to just turn down the volume a bit rather than change it completely.

Dasch-attack
Participant
@dasch-attack

I think all artists are different, the one that I went to played a lot of Lil Wayne for the first 2 sessions then the next one we just watched a movie most of the time.

I like to talk a little bit him but We never had a really long conversation.

I guess it really depends on who you have.

BigZach
Participant
@bigzach

Let the artists jam out to whatever makes them the most comfortable while doing the tattoo.. You’re not paying them to listen to the music you like, you’re paying them for their art..

As far as breaks go, take them if you need it.. But I like not taking breaks especially during larger pieces because eventually the area will just become numb, taking a break though completely cleans the slate..

Adler
Participant
@adler

All artists are different in regards to conversaton. My first couple of tattoos took forever because we were talking so much but I’ve had other artists that didn’t talk as much and preferred to concentrate more on their work. Usually you can judge after a little while if the artist is a talker or not.

Bring an ipod if you want, I wouldn’t ask a shop to change the music they’re listening to just to suit your taste. Again, shops are different. Some have a universal sound system which can be heard throughout the entire shop and some artists have more private work rooms and use a boombox or something. In that case, they might ask if you like a particular style of music, but mostly it’s whatever the artist is comfortable working to.

Yet again, artists are different regarding breaks. If they’re a smoker they might want to take a couple of breaks, or if you’re really feeling it you can ask the artist to take a short break. Once the endorphins kick in and you start to get used to the pain I find it’s good just to keep going and get it done. Breaks are fine but then it’s like starting all over again. For a longer session I think breaks are essential but wait and see how you’re feeling and how the artist is doing. But don’t be afraid to ask the artist for a break, it’s usually good to give them a warning though like “when it’s convenient to take a break I could use one.” This way the artist will know and can figure out a good stopping point.

Remember the basics…get some good rest, be sober, have a decent meal, bring a snack (if needed) and a sugary drink and get your tattoo! Bring enough cash to cover the tattoo and tip if you choose.

kcgreyhound
Participant
@kcgreyhound

I do appreciate the input. I’m a few months away from the first drop of ink, but I’m getting very excited.

DavidJednat
Participant
@davidjednat

When I tattoo people I don’t mind a bit of chatting, but if the client doesn’t feel like talking I just tattoo. I’m pretty darn charming and really good at conversation but that’s not what they pay me for. I get paid to tattoo. If you start out chatty and suddenly get quiet I might stop and make sure you’re ok and see if you need a break. I don’t want anybody passing out on me.

It’s fine if you want to bring an iPod to listen to. As far as changing the shop’s music- not a chance. It’s a tattoo shop not an elevator.

mrchen
Participant
@mrchen

I talk alot and the artists I work with do too,
shops I visit usuaully have private room or area for artist, he listens to what he wants, I let him, I really dont want to isolate with an ipod, but it is ok practice, seen it many times,
I bring laptop too, you two might want to watch a movie, you can ask them what they like, get somethig downloaded for the session,
I dont like breaks, I like to get ink done, I wont break except to eat or take a leak, if they break thats ok, some smoke, some dont stop for anything

msmercury
Participant
@msmercury

In my limited experience thus far, which is a 4 and a half hour session, I sort of went with the flow of the artist. He told me he didn’t mind me talking, but that he wouldn’t be talking a lot because he wanted to be sure he was concentrating on giving me a great tattoo. He had his music on, which I enjoyed, so it was no problem for me. I think you’ll just sort of intuitively know what to do once you get started. Personally, I just wanted my artist to be comfortable, so, I wasn’t going to do or say anything I thought might impact his mood! Haha. I had brought some things along with me to keep me occupied should the need arrive, however, I discovered the time flew by with all the great conversation with the artist and others in the shop and great music and I never needed to use any of the stuff I brought along. For me, the whole experience was a great one and one I will never forget. :):)

mrchen
Participant
@mrchen

thats good advice, I think the best thing you can do is let him or her do their thing………it will be to your benefit

if they smoke, I dont bitch, if they get high, I dont bitch, if we eat pizza for 30 minutes, whatever, I need them fed and back to work…………………… thankfully most of the people I work with now spend more time working than doing other things

I mean it helps them too, if they let you sit around a bunch you get more trama going, bleeding soreness, redness, then they cant take good pics and they have to worry about your healing, I think artists are more concerned now

newdragon
Participant
@newdragon

Thanks for asking this.
I am booked in for 4 x 7hour sessions next year. The artist has already said that during each session there will be a 1 hour lunch break. Up until now my longest session has been 3.5 hrs (with another artist). She suggested a break about half way through but I would have been happy to continue.
As for conversation I let the artist take the lead as I dont want to distract him /her. I am paying good money for good work and figure that if I have to put up with music that is not my taste for a few hours so the artist can do his best work then so be it.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.