mrchen
Participant
@mrchen

you do have responsibilities to your artist.

if you act responsibly you may receive better rates, better bookings and better work

try these and see what you think,

you should prepare a week ahead of getting tattooed, no sun, reduce alcohol intake, hydrate your body, eat well, rest

the night before, get a good nights sleep, eat before you get tattooed, low blood sugar causes people under trama to pass out, continue to hydrate………maybe take some ibuprofen ahead of a long sitting

the day of the work, show up on time, greet all shop staff kindly, they may be taking care of you later,
bring a nice tip for your artist………he gives 40-60% of his earnings to his shop, cash in pocket feels good. Maybe bring him a small gift, I have brought personal gifts that I picked out just for them, a small item for their house, small piece of art, a craft, anything personal, maybe a nice smoke,
be prepared yourself, beside preparing your body, prepare your mind, get excited about getting some dope ass work, tell yourself the pain isnt bad and wont be bad
bring some food to snack on, bring some food to eat or know where food you like is close to the shop, speak to your artist you may want to bring your laptop, some movies, something to read, have comfortable clothes, some that may get ink on them, a hoodie if you get cold in cool shop.
bring some ibuprofen if you will need some, or tylenol, bactine doesnt hurt late in a long session either.

If you do all this your artist will love your ass………he will book you in great spots, he may throw in some extra time, the staff will look forward to your appointments instead of dreading seeing your sorry ass again,

Im telling you, 240 hours on me and being prepared and responsible is worth it………..now go get inked

Amok
Participant
@amok

This is all common sense. Unfortunately common sense is uncommon.

kcgreyhound
Participant
@kcgreyhound

This may seem like common sense, but I had NO idea about half of this. Here is a question. How much do you tip? Do you tip each sesson or wait until the piece is finished if it’s a multi-session piece?

Dipland
Participant
@dipland

All good info. It covers both the artist and the individual getting inked. And it is amazing how many would not think about it.

I actually have my own ritual that gets me ready for ink. Nothing crazy; it just has to do with being as clean and healthy as possible and feeling good for that day.

I generally tip at minimum 20% for each appointment.Exceptional service gets more.

My recent appointment with Jime Litwalk left me so thrilled, the tip was closer to 40%.

anonymous
Participant
@anonymous
kcgreyhound;106959 wrote:
This may seem like common sense, but I had NO idea about half of this. Here is a question. How much do you tip? Do you tip each sesson or wait until the piece is finished if it’s a multi-session piece?

Everyone’s opinions vary on this, but I generally tip about 10% and I would tip each session (haven’t had a multi-session yet).

ezrider
Participant
@ezrider

I generally try to tip about 10% or whatever i can afford at the time, I aslo tip each session.

I also like to shave the area being tattooed the night before, it’s one less thing the artist has to worry about and most of the time when you get shaved at the tattoo shop its dry. Getting shaved this way just causes more irritation on the skin. The less irritation the better IMO.

Adler
Participant
@adler
ezrider;106973 wrote:
I generally try to tip about 10% or whatever i can afford at the time, I aslo tip each session.

I also like to shave the area being tattooed the night before, it’s one less thing the artist has to worry about and most of the time when you get shaved at the tattoo shop its dry. Getting shaved this way just causes more irritation on the skin. The less irritation the better IMO.

When I tip I’m not thinking necessarily about a percentage, i just add something on top that I can afford which probably is somewhere around 10%.

Regarding shaving, I did once before a session and the artist was not happy. He said he would much rather do it himself just prior to starting the tattoo so it’s a fresh shave and also he thought there would be less chance of irritation than if I (or any client) did it myself.

mrchen
Participant
@mrchen

yup, I have spoken with alot of artists they can shave better than you, any area, they do it all the time, even if you shave they are going to do it anyway, just let them do their thing,

I tip every session, 10-20% is good, if I get real excited or I feel like I got charged a real low rate I will go higher

I know this is common sense but many people dont use any,

they show up clubbed out, dehydrated, tired as fuck, no food, no tip money, dressed wrong, they bring some asshole friend who the artists hates, they squirm, bitch, cry because the food near the shop isnt what they want to eat, they have no snacks, no smokes, no magazines, books or movies to entertain themselves, you know artists dont have to tattoo your ass………… and I have seen them throw someone out, surely it rarely comes to that but what these people dont understand is the artist will have no interest in tattooing them again, nor will the other artists in the shop, they wont get the best rate and I would think you wont get those fine ass extra touches on that piece you wanted……….not because the artist isnt cool, because you aint!

Wardy
Participant
@wardy

Never done any of this apart from the odd gift, and i get tattoo’d the day i want a tattoo i never have to wait anymore.

mrchen
Participant
@mrchen

that wont work here in the states with the level of artist I am refering too, but you are lucky to have that liberty at the shops you frequent

and certainly people can not do any of this…….but after speaking to many artists directly, some real heavy hitters, they agree this is a good way to roll, and they agreed you would get treated right

I did this because alot of people address you or I saying they had a problem trying to get some work done………this can aleiviate problems

Thaela
Participant
@thaela

I have tipped 20% as well. I honestly think that’s minimum whatever you are doing when its customary to tip. Same when I get my hair done. I try to figure it out ahead of time, so I don’t have to stand up at the counter like a fool trying to do the simple math in my head… Especially after I’ve just been tattoo’d and I’m a little out in left field lol…

I thought I read somewhere that you’re not supposed to take ibuprofen before a session? I didn’t take one for my first tattoo, but I did take one before my second tattoo because I have a throbbing headache and I just couldn’t take it anymore. It didn’t really help with the pain during, but I do think it helped with the redness and inflammation afterwards, considering its a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory.

Never thought about bringing a small gift, that’s a cute idea. I’m planning another tat soon so I might just have to do this. I’m horrible at presents for people though… I never know what to get them!

mrchen
Participant
@mrchen

ibuprofen is fine, doesnt help with pain but it is for the swelling and inflamation, can also help with your body aches from rough positions during long sessions

I try and scope out artists I plan to use and find out a little about them, then I can purchase a personal gift, Ive given a tin ornament set hand made in mexico, some tibetan art, like wall scrolls, prayer wheel from tibet, phurba, a nicho, some good smokables, and evern a human skull……..I knew the artist had alot of money, he is considered one of the worlds best, I wanted to give him something different, something he would like and didnt have

I’m telling you this stuff works………I cant guarantee you anything but I am talking I follow these suggestions and I have been treated VERY well……by staff, artist tattooing me and even other artists in the shop

isnt that the kind of relationship you want with the shop and artists??

DavidJednat
Participant
@davidjednat

Oh man! I’d love a human skull! That would be better than any tip ever. I’ve been looking for one at a reasonable price, but I just can’t afford $600 or more for a drawing reference.

I always tip excessively. I like to bring food goodies as well. It’s hard to get any time to go out and get a bite to eat working in a tattoo shop. Most days we don’t even eat because it gets so busy between drawing, setting up, paper work, tattooing, answering phones, and consults. One of our regulars brings pasta and home made meatballs in a crock pot. Those are the best days ever.

Wardy
Participant
@wardy
DavidJednat;107039 wrote:
Oh man! I’d love a human skull! .

How much are you offering do you have paypal?

DavidJednat
Participant
@davidjednat
Wardy;107055 wrote:
How much are you offering do you have paypal?

You have one? I’d pay a couple hundred depending on condition.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.