EponaUnknown
Participant
@eponaunknown

Hello, I am looking at my first tattoo…
I am seeking advice from everyone on tattoos, from Color, to placing, to what can I expect when I go to see about it being done…
I have made my own design that has a lot of meaning to me, and want it done on the side of leg. I thought about tattoo’s since I was 11 years old, I am now 26 years old and believe I am ready.
How well do you think this design will work out as a Tattoo:

http://sanngijuqdesign.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=148242857

All Advice is high welcome…
Thank You.

Wardy
Participant
@wardy

Will work out well i think to be honest, post pictures when done.

bluey
Participant
@bluey

It depends on the size. Providing it’s not to small it will work very well.

What can you expect – well that depends on where you go.

If someone recommends a place or an artist go there first. Take your drawing along and ask to look at their folio with similar styles. If there are no recommendations, have a look for shops that are clean, well organised and when you go in the staff are helpful. Expect it to be like any other store you walk into. Don’t expect to walk out with a tattoo on your leg. If you like what you see make an appointment and you will be expected to put down a deposit at the same time, this could be in the range from $50 – $200. You may need to go back to the design before the appointment to approve (or change) the final drawing, as they will most probably take your drawing and draw the outline full size onto a stencil.

I don’t think there are any of the Stereotypical places anywhere, where after fighting past the bikie gang permanently located at the front door you enter this dimly lit dungeon… You will be pleasantly surprised.

EponaUnknown
Participant
@eponaunknown

Thank You =-)
I am not soooo stressed out any more about going to see about the tattoo… ๐Ÿ™‚

ArniVidar
@arnividar

NorthernLights2.jpg

That’s a pretty nice blend of horse and wolf, but I’m not sure it’s going to be easy getting those colors in exactly as you’ve done them. Why did you choose to go with the tribal look?

EponaUnknown
Participant
@eponaunknown

It is so Beautiful… I started out with Inuit art, looking-ish… Tattoo and it was complex, I decided to look into tribal. Also my husband Loves Tribal Art, he has been looking for a tattoo for a while as well… He just wanted some tribal symbols… But when I made the wolf he Love it… So it jumbled around a lot… between Inuit art and Tribal… and this is the grand-finally of it all.., the Tattoo does not have to be colored like above… but at lest something like it…. =-)
Thank You

Cornishtiger
Participant
@cornishtiger

I really like it as a piece of tribal I think it is really well drawn.
I am not a fan of tribal myself but done well I am sure this would make a great tattoo.
My only comment would be that the wolf leg looks a little out of place to me.

ArniVidar
@arnividar

Well, you won’t find much love for tribal in general on these forums, but that’s neither here nor there. All that matters is that you love it.

I do a tiny bit question my perceived implication that you’re getting tribal for your husband’s sake, since your tattoo should always be for YOU and YOU alone, but I also believe that’s not how you mean it. ๐Ÿ™‚

What you need to do is go to a VERY GOOD tribal tattoo artist. Your run-of-the-mill street tattooer will butcher that thing and ruin it for you for life.

To create the effect of the Aurora inside those rather thin lines is going to be a big problem. You will also need to go rather big IF you intend for the colors to flow on those thinner areas, but if you went a bit smaller the artist might be forced to stick with single/very few colors in the thinnest bits… if I’m making any sense? How much Aurora you want to squeeze in there is probably the deciding factor on how big it needs to be.

I definitely like it much better sans outlines as you’re making it, but I guess that it could be very difficult to pull for the various-colored shading and still get a crisp, straight edge. Perhaps blood-lining would be possible to keep the lines straight? (question to those that know, not to you Melanie ;))
Would you be willing to have the entire thing inside a thin, black outline? I fear it might detract from the piece, but without seeing it I can’t say for sure.

Now, you’re making it rather tall, so the question of placement crops up. Have you thought at all about where you want to put that thing? My ex and I usually printed out the bigger pieces and put them on various places on her, took pictures and did some light photoshopping to minimized the whiteness of the sheets, just to be able to look at the pieces in various places. You might consider doing something similar.
As a tall piece, the limbs are the first obvious choice, but for me that piece would require more than your average female arm. So perhaps you could give your entire upper leg to this thing? Or as I said before, you could have less Aurora in it and make it smaller to fit most anywhere.
Another tall place for a tattoo that looks good on a woman, is the side of the ribs.

The bottom squiggly bits and the sun are usually tramp-stamp ink, but the entire thing could never work as a backpiece. It is far too tall and thin for that to ever look good.

Those are my thoughts on the whole thing.

Adler
Participant
@adler

I have a feeling this will look better as a drawing than a tattoo. Sorry but I see this translating to a rather boring looking tribal animal tattoo.

ArniVidar
@arnividar
Adler;106696 wrote:
I have a feeling this will look better as a drawing than a tattoo. Sorry but I see this translating to a rather boring looking tribal animal tattoo.

Well, obviously any tribal looks better as a drawing than as a tattoo. That is a given :rolleyes:

EponaUnknown
Participant
@eponaunknown

Thank you… Your very Honest… I Love it!
I was thinking on the Side of lower leg… But Upper leg would be fine.
The Wolf/Nordic Dog Tribal (I run a Sled team of 5 dogs) My second favorite hobby, The horse (I have trained horses since 1999 and LOVE it! My first animal Love…) I also a own horse (she s foals in foal right now as well… ๐Ÿ™‚ ) And Winter is my favorite time of year… So The Northren Lights play in big… (But if I can not have it that way it is Okay…) I also Like it Solid Black… it looks good to me.
Me and Mother will be getting this done in a few weeks… As she Love the design as well…
Thank You… ๐Ÿ™‚
I might remove some detail over the next few weeks… and play with it more… As for a first Tattoo I nervous going Large…

EponaUnknown
Participant
@eponaunknown

Tattoos.jpg

ArniVidar
@arnividar

Yes… we try to be honest here, but also not unnecessarily cruel ๐Ÿ™‚

Well, if solid black, or very few colors are okay, I’d definitely say go for a small version… maybe 4-5 inches at the tallest, and do it in a place where you can easily hide it. There are three main reasons for that.
1.) Smaller tribal is better tribal. Less waste of ‘canvas’ ๐Ÿ˜‰
2.) Once you get bored with your tribal and want something to cover it, there will be less lasering required. Also you’ll be able to hide it with clothing until you can afford laser.
3.) Although it’s really sad, the world still hates tattoos. Hence, for future job prospects, it helps if you’re able to hide the thing easily.

But whatever you do, find a GOOD artist to do it, because regardless of my preference to well done tribal, it truly looks like crap if it’s poorly done.

Also, upon reflection I think I agree with Cornish. Something about the wolf’s leg is bothering me, although I can’t place what it is. Maybe it’s just too low down in the body? Or too much of a blob?

EponaUnknown
Participant
@eponaunknown

Thank You ๐Ÿ˜‰

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.