Blackwidow689
Participant
@blackwidow689

Hey all, had a brief question/thought regarding different tattoo techniques/styles. I’m a big fan of Tribal style tattoos (go ahead, roll your eyes, i know lol) but since they all seem to blend together I’ve been wanting to do something different with the ones I have and am planning out so they stand out and leave an impression. A couple of the techniques I’ve come across look really appealing, especially UV ink as well as Scarification to a certain extent. My main question is, can these techniques be incorporated on top of or bellow traditional techniques?? For example if i used scarification as a kind of border for my design, or to lift it up from my skin, could i then put regular in down on top of it to make something a little more 3 dimensional? or would the scar tissue interfere with the standard ink? Also, if i got UV ink as a highlight to an existing tattoo, would it get covered up and not glow if i got the original tattoo touched up down the road? I’m still very much a newbie to all this, so any guidance would be very much appreciated!!

kittykat200
Participant
@kittykat200

tbh i wouldnt consider either of these options but its entirely up to you, i would imagine if you used UV ink and then got the original balck ink touched up this would also cover the UV though possibly not entirely which could mean UV spotted patches scar tissue can be covered but it doesnt tend to look too great and it can seriously distort the ink leaving blowout patches etc. someone else will probably be able to give you better information but this is my experience of it 🙂 x

anonymous
Participant
@anonymous

Skip the UV ink. There have been a lot of health concerns over this type of ink, which is saying a lot considering what is in standarde tattoo ink. 😀

buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat

Wow this sounds very trollish to me.
How many crap ideas can be incorporated into one tattoo? A UV tribal tattoo with scarification :rolleyes:

Blackwidow689
Participant
@blackwidow689
buttwheat;105512 wrote:
Wow this sounds very trollish to me.
How many crap ideas can be incorporated into one tattoo? A UV tribal tattoo with scarification :rolleyes:

It was a theoretical example, i have no intention of using all three on one piece. A combination of UV and standard ive seen done well before, and i’d be interested to see a scarification/standard ink combo, I just wasn’t sure if working with that much scar tissue with regular ink was possible or not

Sherav
Participant
@sherav

Hi

From first hand experience tattooing over scar tissue is major painful (it hurt more than my entire back) and hard to keep the ink in. I had skin graphs on my leg when i was a kid and used a tattoo to cover it up around 15 years afterwards. It takes a long time for scar tissue to heal and is a min of 12 mths.

Even then it was hard for the artist to get the ink in and it required some major touchups.

Whilst I am happy with the end product there are parts of the skin that are still sore to touch months after the work was done as the fresh scar tissue is still settling over old. (My leg piece is in my folder)

My advice would be this if you wanted a ink/scarification combo;

Get the outline done in double thickness but leave room on the outer edge to widen if necessary.

This means that the outline is done prior to the scarification not afterwards as scarification is not exact science on how it will scar and the neatness can be a bit of an issue (get it done by an expert).

If you have a couple of mil outline thickness you have room for the scar tissue to fit inside of the outline. You can always build a fresh outline further out from the scar area.

Getting ink filled in on a scarification piece is frankly not a wise move it is not a graph with skin going over it but a raw wound of knotted scar tissue. This will tend to hold ink poorly and lead to discolouration and blow outs which it is best to get an outline before cutting out the inside shape.

Take care
Matthew

Blackwidow689
Participant
@blackwidow689
Sherav;105616 wrote:
Hi

From first hand experience tattooing over scar tissue is major painful (it hurt more than my entire back) and hard to keep the ink in. I had skin graphs on my leg when i was a kid and used a tattoo to cover it up around 15 years afterwards. It takes a long time for scar tissue to heal and is a min of 12 mths.

Even then it was hard for the artist to get the ink in and it required some major touchups.

Whilst I am happy with the end product there are parts of the skin that are still sore to touch months after the work was done as the fresh scar tissue is still settling over old. (My leg piece is in my folder)

My advice would be this if you wanted a ink/scarification combo;

Get the outline done in double thickness but leave room on the outer edge to widen if necessary.

This means that the outline is done prior to the scarification not afterwards as scarification is not exact science on how it will scar and the neatness can be a bit of an issue (get it done by an expert).

If you have a couple of mil outline thickness you have room for the scar tissue to fit inside of the outline. You can always build a fresh outline further out from the scar area.

Getting ink filled in on a scarification piece is frankly not a wise move it is not a graph with skin going over it but a raw wound of knotted scar tissue. This will tend to hold ink poorly and lead to discolouration and blow outs which it is best to get an outline before cutting out the inside shape.

Take care
Matthew

So i could get the piece done first then do the scarification around it? I read that scarification takes a while, I’m more than willing to do that first and wait a year or more before getting regular in on/around it. Thank you for your input, It helps quite a bit!!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.