theDONI
Participant
@thedoni

Hey all, so I’ve been meaning to get my first tattoo for years now but after going through bouts of wanting one, not knowing what I want and then forgetting about it I have finally decided that I will do some proper research and get one done soon. This does not mean I’m rushing it, it just means I need to buckle down and decide otherwise it will never happen.

I obviously want my first tattoo to mean something, which is why I’ve decided that I wanted to get writing. I’m deciding between two different tattoos right now, both of which I will probably get eventually:

1. The first one is the one I will most likely go for. As a very protective person of the people I love (siblings, family, girlfriend, friends) so I wanted the tattoo to revolve around that idea. The idea I have right now is the word ‘Protect’. This seemed great because it was nice and simple for a first tattoo and obviously had meaning. It would be in heavy cursive and look pretty fancy.

My problem with just the word ‘Protect’ is is that it just might be TOO simple. So I’m posting on this forum to hopefully get some ideas or advice on phrases, sayings or quotes that I could use instead. I don’t want a long quote or saying but just 2-3 words instead. Something like “Protect others before yourself” or something similar.

2. Secondly, another tattoo I have been considering revolves around the idea of ‘fate’ and how I don’t believe it in. This one I wanted to be longer (like a sentence) and would hopefully be a quote or saying said by someone. Anyone got any quotes, sayings or phrases that revolve around not believing in fate and controlling your life with the things you do? And not being on a set path?

So does anyone have any ideas for either of the two tattoos?

So those are my two ideas. Again I’d like to reiterate I understand that my first tattoo should never be decided by someone else. I am simply using this forum for ideas and inspiration.

Thank you very much!

ezrider
Participant
@ezrider

I think script tattoos are a little over done, this is just my opinion. If you do get a script tattoo I think its better if you don’t go with a really fancy cursive script that people have to try and decipher.

That being said, if simple script is what you want, by all means get it. One other thing you might consider is a symbol like the Udjat symbol or maybe even a Foo Dog or two. Foo dogs can be really awesome tattoos IMO.

kittykat200
Participant
@kittykat200

i think a foo dog is an awful lot bigger than what is being proposed here. i have script, if that’s what you want it doesnt matter if you’re the only person to have some or one of millions, get what appeals to you, i love mine and that wont change ๐Ÿ™‚ i wouldnt chose a quote at random just because it sounds nice though. either make up something yourself that works for you, or quote something that really means something to you like a song/poem/writer etc if you want something that means protective then there are a lot of symbolic tattoos that you can get that arent as big as the scale you would need for a half decent foo dog, but then if you dont really care about size then bigger is always better ๐Ÿ™‚ where are you thinking of getting this tattoo and what kind of size? i know your first one can tend to be really intimidating and so is best to err on the side of caution, a small mistake is a small mistake but a back piece is quite a lot harder to deal with! lol good luck with your endeavours and i’ll be interested to see what you end up with xxx

theDONI
Participant
@thedoni

Appreciate the responses so far. As much as I think the foo dog is pretty cool, as a first tattoo it would be pretty dumb. I really want the first one to be meaningful and then I can worry about going abit crazier after that.

The two areas I want to get my first tattoo is either underneath my arm (triceps?) or forearm/ wrist area. Or if I plan to get a smaller one (like the word protect) I would get it on my lower neck area on the side further towards my back than front.

Regardless, position is really not a big deal for me. I’m pretty decisive when it comes to that. It’s just deciding WHAT to get that is killing me.

On that topic. Does anyone maybe have any symbols that mean ‘I protect others’ or something like that? Even some phrases?

Thanks again!

Joink
Participant
@joink

I wouldn’t get script for your first, or at all for that matter. Why not do like a badass warrior/samurai or something to symbolize the “I protect others” idea?

Wardy
Participant
@wardy

I say go for a script if you want a script. Don’t let what other people like and don’t like put you off what you want because not everybody can like the same thing. Have a really good think what you want and if you want it fuck everybody else get it done.

Nobody wanted me to get my hand piece done apart from my fiancee Amy but i still got it done.

kittykat200
Participant
@kittykat200

i think that’s dreadful personally lol but that’s just me, sorry! it just looks like something chosen of a wall of flash banners… :S

theDONI
Participant
@thedoni

Protect and love are two words that I strongly believe in and I was considering getting them both tattooed on me at one point. Fate on the other hand is something I definitely do not want on me, because I just don’t believe in it.

I personally don’t like the look of the banner, it’s just too much for me as I prefer simpler tattoos.

Right now I’m considering getting this phrase i made up in Sanskrit:

Protect those that you care for those that you love.

Or

Protect those that you love those that you care for.

As you can hopefully see, in the first line ‘care for’ is the end of one sentence and the beginning of the other. As is ‘love’ in the secon phrase.

What do you think??

kittykat200
Participant
@kittykat200

why sanskrit?

theDONI
Participant
@thedoni

Honestly? I just like the way it looks. That’s pretty much it.

I don’t really have any other connection to any languages so if I was so get something in other language it will just be based off how it looks unfortunately.

kittykat200
Participant
@kittykat200

ok so that leads to the next question, why another language at all if you have no connection to it when you feel such a great connection to the words in english? i think it might take something away from it for your own personal enjoyment, you may know what it means (unless you become the victim of a practical joke) but its not readily there to empower you which is the impression i got from your idea for it. That being said maybe just keep it simple, get the text in english, pick a decent font which wont translate poorly, dont get it too small so it lasts longer and put it somewhere where you can always decorate it witn other things later if you want to ๐Ÿ™‚ that’s what i did ๐Ÿ™‚ x

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.