JENerationX
Participant
@jenerationx

Not that I give a shit what my parents think. I’m pushing 40, I’ll do whatever I want, but I was just asked by my mother to see the new tattoo, and then told that they make people look cheap and trashy. Also, I’m going to look like a hooker at my sister’s wedding. 😡 She said “well at least you’re going to stop now”. I told her actually, no, I have a session booked in November and I’m planning on putting a Tolkien inspired tree on the outside of my other calf, and possibly add a blown leaf from the tree under the bird to tie the two together. Now I’m apparently going to walk down the street and look like one of those biker women with big ugly black ink everywhere and will never be able to wear capris at work or they’ll get rid of me and not tell me it was because of the tattoos. God forbid I have to look for another job, cause I won’t be hired if they see that. LOL *eyeroll*

Anyone else getting this crap in fucking 2011??????

ArniVidar
@arnividar

Oh yes. It may be 2011 now, but they were born in the dark ages!

Knitrocks
Participant
@knitrocks

Mom takes it ok. She thinks its wrong to spend a lot of money on tattoos, but thats it. My dad hates tattoos. Actually, he hates everything about me, with or without tattoos.

Aahzz
Participant
@aahzz

I’m 43, so it’s not like it would stop me. Dad would have hated them, but he died before I got my forst, which was a partial memorial to him. Mom doesn’t like the idea of tattoos, but she does appreciate the quality of work I’ve had done.

anonymous
Participant
@anonymous

My step-dad didn’t say a word qabout my 2 tats, so I’m assuming he’s just as opposed to tattoos as he is to handguns. My mom I can’t really get a read on, but she seems ok with them. Grandma was really the one that surprised me. She has late stage Alzheimer’s and when I was showing my mom the tattoo, she all of a sudden comes out of her daze and says “What’s that?” I said “that’s my tattoo.” She says: “Oh, it very nice!” lol 🙂

Briscogun
Participant
@briscogun
JENerationX;99057 wrote:
Anyone else getting this crap in fucking 2011??????

I’m a couple of years older than you, and I think it’s a generational thing. The generation before us thinks of tattoos as only for sailors or bikers or social deviants. Because back in their day, that’s how it was. Now, something like a third of the adult population has one or something like that.

Some parents see it as a failure on their part because we don’t see everything the way they do. Some good parents, however, are wise enough to see that its not about them, its about us. Honestly, parents that get all bent out of shape like that are only thinking of themselves. They are afraid that WE will reflect badly on THEM.

Don’t worry about it. Its frustrating and annoying, but in the end, we have to live with it, not them. I think your new ink rocks, very cool! Parents… what can you do with them?

msmercury
Participant
@msmercury

My mom told me I was being ridiculous and could not believe I had gotten a tattoo. I waited until after the fact to mention I had gotten one to avoid hearing a lot of negative comments, which I was all ready getting from friends and other family. However, she was interested in seeing it and appreciated that it was nice artwork. Haven’t told her or too many others about my consult coming up at the end of the month to go over a new tattoo I’ll be getting, which is actually going to be a memorial to my son.

JENerationX
Participant
@jenerationx
Knitrocks;99061 wrote:
Mom takes it ok. She thinks its wrong to spend a lot of money on tattoos, but thats it. My dad hates tattoos. Actually, he hates everything about me, with or without tattoos.

LMAO… My father is about the same. That’s why I just blocked his ass from Facebook. Haven’t actually spoke to him in years. I figured I’d let him on, but the first thing he did was insult me and my best friend who’s been there for me through all the shit he wasn’t so he’s gone again.

Amok
Participant
@amok

My parents don’t know I have tattoos, I see no need to tell them really, but I assume they’d think it was a waste of money.

mrchen
Participant
@mrchen

my father was always a super conservative, super jock, super prep, he hates ink, born of a much different generation,
however he has always acknowledged the fact that his son was nothing like him, Marine, biker, street fighting, whiskey swilling, whore mongering, drug dealing, too smart for his own good, rotten ass rebel (I have calmed down as a father and husband)

he accepts the fact that I am covered because he loves me and hates every minute of it!

BigAl
Participant
@bigal

Told my parents inwas going get a tattoo they were like o.k whatever came home six hours later with the start of my half sleeve and they were like damn that’s a big tattoo. Mom says no more dad say as long as I can hide them he don’t care. I really don’t care how they feel its my money, my body but I am going to hold off on sleeves for awhile its my decision but with the world the way it is its hard to get your foot in the door at a good place to work or anywhere really being covered and I live in Alabama where everyone’s got tattoos

Knitrocks
Participant
@knitrocks
JENerationX;99076 wrote:
LMAO… My father is about the same. That’s why I just blocked his ass from Facebook. Haven’t actually spoke to him in years. I figured I’d let him on, but the first thing he did was insult me and my best friend who’s been there for me through all the shit he wasn’t so he’s gone again.

Stupid bungholes, our dads. why dont they just shut up and think. Pushing their kids away like crazy. Their loss.

Zorba
Participant
@zorba

To OP: Capris? Really?

My late father LOVED mine when I got it. But then again he had two from his WW II navy stint – one gotten on Honolulu, the other in New Zealand. He became inspired to do a text memorial to my late mother after I got my tatt.

Wardy
Participant
@wardy

My mum like’s tattoo’s. She has a few herself. She knows im going for around 80% coverage eventually and she just let’s me get on with things. My dad hates tattoo’s and fell out with me when i got my first and second tattoo, however he is finally starting to realize that i am my own person and he has started to pay a interest in what i am getting done. My Nan always comment’s “what are you doing to your body Alex” my comeback is short and simple. Don’t try to understand. My grandad is not arsed what i do haha.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.