mike fox
Participant
    @mike-fox

i have a few questions regarding the general protocol of the biz…
first, when i came to my tattoo artist i brought a half dozen pieces of source materials: photographs from the internet, photocopies from art books, detailed postcard with logo, etc.
i went over in quite some detail what i was looking for and a week later he had a sketch ready…i really liked his adaptation of what i had talked about, he used a good bit of creativity in coming up with the bird’s shape and energy…however, there are a number of problems that happened during and then after we did the major part of the coloring that has me bothered…
when we were done with the black outline of the initial and started in on the coloring of the flames and beak, he failed to use one of the photographs of the bird i had given him (buried in the back of his drawer) and initially colored in the beak with a tanish color instead of the vibrant red as it was supposed to be and he had to go over it a second time right away…the result was that the beak looks light, almost pinkish (which seems to come up on other parts of the tat, another issue) and doesn’t vibe with the rest, which was a key element in the uniqueness of this particular bird (oh, it’s a new zealand black swan)…
another element he talked about but never asked permission was to leave the color away from the edges in the lower part of the tat, which now that it’s settled in for three weeks honestly looks sloppy as hell since the upper portion is totally filled in…
in addition, the orange that is supposed to be blended with the red looks more like a ‘wash’ and not even close to a solid color, plus somehow some of the red looks pink which i don’t understand at all…
on a color advice and design as well, is there any way to make the feathers ‘pop’ a bit more? in the photographs the feathers are white, and somehow he convinced me that the white ink would look bad and not age well (i think ten years before it ‘yellows’?)…
so, my main question is, if he has made some really pretty bad errors how do i go about discussing these with him and getting him to do the minimum of corrections on his time and his dime since i’ve already paid for professional work to be done and feel he hasn’t lived up to it? or do i ask for a partial refund and get another tattoo artist to fix the snafus? i don’t want cause a super bit of drama since he is a really good friend’s roommate, but i definitely want this fixed right…
oh, and any other design suggestions and corrections from your mind would be greatly appreciated…

Briscogun
Participant
    @briscogun

I know white is a tricky color. I’ve heard of some artists actually using a blue shade instead.

Can you post a pic so we can see?