albo1278
Participant
@albo1278

I am looking to get my first tattoo..i want my family crest and my question to people that have them is where you can find it…i looked online but there are a bunch of different ones and i obviously only want to get it if it is 100% the right one. thanks

Cornishtiger
Participant
@cornishtiger

Most family crests are sadly fake.
If you see several versions they will be fake for sure.
Companies make crests up hoping you will only see thiers and buy it.
Sorry to be the barer of bad news.
Good luck with your tattoo.

Briscogun
Participant
@briscogun

The other issue is that there can be multiple crests for the same name depending on what branch of the family you are from or from what region your ancestry hails from.

If you really want an accurate family crest, you need to do your homework and start working your family tree. That’s the only way you will know for sure. And even then, you may never be able to find out if you hit a dead end.

Depending on your resources, you could contact a geneologist to help you.

Maybe there is another image you can use to represent your family besides a family crest?

slravene
Participant
@slravene

Just to chime in here…

If your family is large, has a lot of history, was a part of European nobility, etc there will most likely be several “family crests.” You will need to do TONS of research to find out which one is yours and which one you will adopt. For example, my family name has two that can be adopted. One is of French origin and one is of English origin. Both are used and “accepted” by the entire family throughout history. This is the case in a lot of older, historical families. I wont sit here and bore you with the reasons why as you can research and learn pretty easily….

Point being…no one on the internet can (or should) be able to tell you what you family crest is. Your family may in fact not even have one; very few families actually have an AUTHENTIC, age old crest…You need to dig into the history of your family…find your family papers, find historical references, go ALL the way back to family inception….youll do one of two things (or both); 1) Find your family crest (or find that you dont have one, or 2) Learn a TON about your history and where you came from.

If your family does not have one, you can get a grant and have one designed. It is not that difficult if you have your geneology records in order.

Of course…this all being said…make sure we are on the same page here….you are talking about a CREST and not a COAT OF ARMS, correct? These are different and are interpreted MUCH differently.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.