ArniVidar
@arnividar

So, I was reading the Anne Stokes site and there in her Q&A I find that many people have asked her permission to tattoo her artwork on them. So this made me think a bit..

We all know that tattoo artists like to change things up and do their own stuff with it, but what happens when you bring in an actual piece of art.. something fantastically detailed like Anne Stokes or Boris Vallejo for example, and tell them “give me THAT”.

What happens then? Does the artist get peeved that you’ve brought in something that you forbid them to change? Or do they just go into portrait mode and try to reproduce exactly what’s there in the art?

And if I needed an artist to replicate something like that, would I look for an amazing fantasy artist, or would a ‘regular’ fantastic portrait artist with absolutely no interest in or creativity for fantasy be able to do it justice?

Parademic
Participant
@parademic

From what I understand, there is a lot of differences from putting art on a piece of paper and art on skin, that no matter what, someone like Anne Stokes are will have to be modified a slight bit, I think it’s specifically with lining, in order to make it work as a tattoo. But I don’t think an artist would get pissed, I’m sure they would get more pissed at someone wanting something basic, rather than something that will really test their ability as an artist and be a fun piece.

A couple artists I know have done a few H.R Giger pieces, direct copies, and they loved it.

ArniVidar
@arnividar

Oh, I realize that the artist will always have to ‘thin’ the artwork out a bit, but I think there’s a difference between making it tattoo-able and actually changing out stuff on the piece.

I’m glad to hear that artists enjoyed doing direct copies like that. As you say, it’s probably a good test of ability instead of creativity.

Parademic
Participant
@parademic

Here’s one that was done exactly
birth-machine.jpg

Dave Van
Participant
@dave-van

I’m quite a ways away from being an independent, working tattoo artist, but I can personally say that I don’t foresee a situation where I am so wrapped up in myself that I wouldn’t be willing to do a copy someone was excited about. I’ve done a lot of thinking about this, because I look around here at art certain people have done themselves and had directly copied onto their skin and I wonder, “Could I, in good conscience, seriously allow someone to be saddled with this crap the rest of their life”? The answer I keep coming back to is yeah, who the fuck am I to tell them that they shouldn’t like their art? I might suggest a slight rework, but I wouldn’t argue with them or tell them to go elsewhere, lest they end up at a sub-par shop where their art is going to be turned into something even worse.

But that is slightly off topic. For me the coolest thing would be if someone came to see ME because they wanted something expertly reproduced and didn’t trust the job to anyone else. I would feel honored.

(btw Parademic, that is one cool ass drawing!)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.