paddyboy18
Participant
@paddyboy18

Hey all, im currently working on my portfolio and could use some advice and tips from all you artists out there! I am currently just finishing up a years art course in college and hoping to become a tattoo artists apprentice when i finish. Please check out some of my work on my page and let me know what i should be drawing in order to get an apprenticeship…also any other tips that i should know about becoming an apprentice! Thanks for your time ๐Ÿ™‚

DavidJednat
Participant
@davidjednat

It seems you have an affinity for Japanese tattoo themes. I would say to check out the works of Horiyoshi III, Shige, and Jack Mosher. Study their styles and how each form is laid out. Pay attention to lines and line weight. Which lines are thicker and thinner and why. Also read up on people like Bert Grimm, Sailor Jerry, and Lyle Tuttle. Understand where tattooing has been and where it’s going. Learn how to paint with watercolors and liquid acrylics.

Start drawing flash. Flash sheets consist of five or so smallish drawings in full color on and 11 x 17 paper. Each flash sheet should have a corresponding sheet of just line drawings. The designs could be hearts, roses, skulls, raccoons, who cares. Just demonstrate your ability to draw similar designs in different ways.

Use references when you draw. Pay special attention to light and shadow.

Get tattooed. I wouldn’t take a person seriously for an apprenticeship if they hadn’t atleast dedicated a bunch of hours getting tattooed. It also helps you get your foot in the door. Show your drawings around. Ask for criticism. Don’t take it to heart. Use it and apply it to your next drawing/painting. Be humble.

Go to conventions. Ask for advise from the pros there. Don’t ask things like “How do I get an apprenticeship?” Ask things like “How did you get into tattooing?” people are more willing to talk when you follow the 80/20 rule. 80% about them 20% about you.

Draw, Draw, Draw. Draw everything and anything you can think of.

It took me 12 years to get an apprenticeship at one of the best shops in my area. I asked countless artist at countless shops. I was offered a few chances but none of them ever felt right until I found this one. You’ll have to work really really hard but totally worth it if you’re the right person.

paddyboy18
Participant
@paddyboy18
DavidJednat;86559 wrote:
It seems you have an affinity for Japanese tattoo themes. I would say to check out the works of Horiyoshi III, Shige, and Jack Mosher. Study their styles and how each form is laid out. Pay attention to lines and line weight. Which lines are thicker and thinner and why. Also read up on people like Bert Grimm, Sailor Jerry, and Lyle Tuttle. Understand where tattooing has been and where it’s going. Learn how to paint with watercolors and liquid acrylics.

Start drawing flash. Flash sheets consist of five or so smallish drawings in full color on and 11 x 17 paper. Each flash sheet should have a corresponding sheet of just line drawings. The designs could be hearts, roses, skulls, raccoons, who cares. Just demonstrate your ability to draw similar designs in different ways.

Use references when you draw. Pay special attention to light and shadow.

Get tattooed. I wouldn’t take a person seriously for an apprenticeship if they hadn’t atleast dedicated a bunch of hours getting tattooed. It also helps you get your foot in the door. Show your drawings around. Ask for criticism. Don’t take it to heart. Use it and apply it to your next drawing/painting. Be humble.

Go to conventions. Ask for advise from the pros there. Don’t ask things like “How do I get an apprenticeship?” Ask things like “How did you get into tattooing?” people are more willing to talk when you follow the 80/20 rule. 80% about them 20% about you.

Draw, Draw, Draw. Draw everything and anything you can think of.

It took me 12 years to get an apprenticeship at one of the best shops in my area. I asked countless artist at countless shops. I was offered a few chances but none of them ever felt right until I found this one. You’ll have to work really really hard but totally worth it if you’re the right person.

Thanks for the reply and your time!..I have been studying the work of horyiyoshi III, filip leu, henning jorgenson, mick of zurich , clark north etc! Japanese tattooing is definatley the main style that i am interested in at the moment. I have been reading up about old school artists such as bowery stan, salior jerry etc but i havent done any old school style flash yet…but i will take your advice on board and start to make up some traditional style sheets!

I have been tattooed but i only have over 6hours worth of work done so far! Its hard to gather money to get more work done… but im planning on getting a few more hours done within the next few months.
I havent yet been to a convention but i am really hoping to get to one this year, i am hoping to get to the boston convention as i will be over for the summer, not sure what date i will be home though so i might miss it.

wow man 12 years thats dedication and an inspiration!..There isent any shops near me…the closest shop is an hours drive away, but i have been to it alot. Unfortunatley for me its closing now soon due to the artist re-locating.

Thanks alot man for your time. Great advice given and i will use all of it!

Sinnaere
Participant
@sinnaere

I can’t really give you any advice, being that I can’t draw and I’m not a tattooist, but I wanted to wish you luck with your endeavor. Your Japanese stuff looks really bad ass.

ZombieKiller
Participant
@zombiekiller

Best advice i could give would be to not become a tattoo artist. most people will not listen to such advice so i offer you this, dont worry about becoming a tattoo artist focus on your art and ability. When the talent is there you will be asked if you’re interested in an apprenticeship.

paddyboy18
Participant
@paddyboy18
ZombieKiller;86623 wrote:
Best advice i could give would be to not become a tattoo artist. most people will not listen to such advice so i offer you this, dont worry about becoming a tattoo artist focus on your art and ability. When the talent is there you will be asked if you’re interested in an apprenticeship.

I dont understand, why would u advise me not to become a tattoo artist? and how will i be asked to do an apprenticeship if i dont go out and show artists my work?

ArniVidar
@arnividar

I’ve never heard of anyone being OFFERED to become an apprentice. Everybody has always said the same thing.. you have to go there and show yourself and ask to be apprenticed.

ZombieKiller
Participant
@zombiekiller

Thing I hate the most about my industry is people who just “have” to get a apprenticeship. Just to let you know there is already an abundance of tattooers, so many that in todays economy its getting more and more difficult to make a living. 80% of those tattooers couldn’t draw to save there lives. When it comes down to brass tacs your art is not to par. I have seen numerous artists asked if they were interested in learning to tattoo without asking for an apprenticeship prior. Because there focus was art in the beginning , not after the fact of wanting to become a tattooer. Skin is just another medium, a very difficult one to master. Master other mediums before seeking out an apprenticeship. Don’t want to sound like an ass, just offering advice based on 22 years of experience.

paddyboy18
Participant
@paddyboy18
ZombieKiller;86668 wrote:
Thing I hate the most about my industry is people who just “have” to get a apprenticeship. Just to let you know there is already an abundance of tattooers, so many that in todays economy its getting more and more difficult to make a living. 80% of those tattooers couldn’t draw to save there lives. When it comes down to brass tacs your art is not to par. I have seen numerous artists asked if they were interested in learning to tattoo without asking for an apprenticeship prior. Because there focus was art in the beginning , not after the fact of wanting to become a tattooer. Skin is just another medium, a very difficult one to master. Master other mediums before seeking out an apprenticeship. Don’t want to sound like an ass, just offering advice based on 22 years of experience.

Thanks for ur advice…i respect your opinion. If my art is not up to par then can u please advise me on what i can do to improve? I know i have to keep practicing to improve but is there anything else that i can do? My art is definatley not great but its not the worst either. Thanks again i appreciate your advice.

ZombieKiller
Participant
@zombiekiller

As you said in your original post the college course was a good start, but not the best. Its going to teach you a few fundamentals but i find at a college you tend to get the “we’re more interested in your cash than your talent” level of instruction. In most major US cities with large NFP museums these museums offer outreach programs. Here in Houston the MFAH has the Glassell school of art. Its places like this that art instruction reaches an entirely new level, very small classes and realworld theory. Something like that would be an awesome place to start. Aside from further instruction all you can do is practice your art. Practice, practice, practice. Draw everything, then draw it again. Study the styles and genres of different artists. If you dont have any friends that are artists themselves, find some new friends. Influence and collaboration are some of the best things for you right now. Hope that helps at least a little, its not a step by step guide to get an apprenticeship but rather some ways of becoming a well rounded “artist”.

paddyboy18
Participant
@paddyboy18
ZombieKiller;86674 wrote:
As you said in your original post the college course was a good start, but not the best. Its going to teach you a few fundamentals but i find at a college you tend to get the “we’re more interested in your cash than your talent” level of instruction. In most major US cities with large NFP museums these museums offer outreach programs. Here in Houston the MFAH has the Glassell school of art. Its places like this that art instruction reaches an entirely new level, very small classes and realworld theory. Something like that would be an awesome place to start. Aside from further instruction all you can do is practice your art. Practice, practice, practice. Draw everything, then draw it again. Study the styles and genres of different artists. If you dont have any friends that are artists themselves, find some new friends. Influence and collaboration are some of the best things for you right now. Hope that helps at least a little, its not a step by step guide to get an apprenticeship but rather some ways of becoming a well rounded “artist”.

The problem is the closest major city for me is over a 4hours drive for me so programs like that are hard to come by. Thanks alot for your advice, hopefully in the future i will become a well rounded artist!. I will upload any new work so feel free to comment and let me know what u think. Thanks alot for your advice and your time

BowsButtons
Participant
@bowsbuttons

Your stuff is pretty good! In my experience one year courses don’t really teach that much so well done for being a natural!
I’d say practice your lines more than shading when you’re drawing, draw as if you’re tattooing someone just so you can perfect that delicacy and steady hand.
Don’t just put drawings in your portfolio either, do paintings too, prints, collages, all sorts of creative stuff that shows your ability, your style, influences and stuff like that. You want to start your portfolio strong and end strong too. My portfolio starts with my best tattoo designs, designs inspired by my favourite artists, pencil drawn portraits then ends with mixed media art works.
After I finished my art course I went around asking for an apprenticeship but to no avail. I’ve just been asked to join a tattoo parlor after my friend recommended me to his boss so I was so so lucky. It’s a hard industry to break into, sure you’re great artist and keen but it just depends whether the tattooist wants to honor you with the opportunity..
Good luck!

paddyboy18
Participant
@paddyboy18
Bows&Buttons;86731 wrote:
Your stuff is pretty good! In my experience one year courses don’t really teach that much so well done for being a natural!
I’d say practice your lines more than shading when you’re drawing, draw as if you’re tattooing someone just so you can perfect that delicacy and steady hand.
Don’t just put drawings in your portfolio either, do paintings too, prints, collages, all sorts of creative stuff that shows your ability, your style, influences and stuff like that. You want to start your portfolio strong and end strong too. My portfolio starts with my best tattoo designs, designs inspired by my favourite artists, pencil drawn portraits then ends with mixed media art works.
After I finished my art course I went around asking for an apprenticeship but to no avail. I’ve just been asked to join a tattoo parlor after my friend recommended me to his boss so I was so so lucky. It’s a hard industry to break into, sure you’re great artist and keen but it just depends whether the tattooist wants to honor you with the opportunity..
Good luck!

Thanks very much :), yea i need to work on my lines etc…im used to a more loose style of drawing with minimum lines. Could you upload photos of your portfolio so i can have a look? Well done on landing the apprenticship!

Thanks for your help ๐Ÿ™‚

BowsButtons
Participant
@bowsbuttons

Cheers ๐Ÿ™‚
I’ve just uploaded my portfolio, in reverse order like a douche bag D:
Let me know what you think!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.