CakeMonster
Participant
@cakemonster

I’ve been considering a tattoo design for several months and finally decided on it. It will be my first. Got some recommendations from friends and went to a tattoo shop to talk to them about my design.

I want my design to be about 1/2 inch square and on my wrist/forearm–about 3 inches below where hand meets wrist. This way, after it’s healed, I can cover it with a watch if I need it covered for some reason. (My wrists are very thin and that’s where my watch sits.) So it’s below my actual wrist.

The artist I talked to said that it couldn’t go there because the design was too detailed and it would blur and spread over time. I asked if it would be possible to simplify my design to go there, and he said no. Thing is, I’ve seen many extremely detailed tattoos in that area, so I’m wondering if it is still possible.

I have several other tattoo shops I could try, but I don’t want to waste my time and theirs asking around if it’s something that’s just not feasible. So I thought I’d ask for some opinions on this. I’ve attached a picture of the design; please tell me what you think. And like I said, I’d be happy to let the artist simplify the design or use finer lines or something if need be, to make it work.

Also–sorry if this is in the wrong place. I wasn’t sure where to post it.

V_F-lotus-tattoo-1.jpg

Sinnaere
Participant
@sinnaere

I don’t understand why the artist can’t do this on your wrist. The design doesn’t really look that complicated and like you said, I’ve seen more detailed stuff on others’ wrists. I’d try a different tattoo shop.

CakeMonster
Participant
@cakemonster
Sinnaere;86606 wrote:
I don’t understand why the artist can’t do this on your wrist. The design doesn’t really look that complicated and like you said, I’ve seen more detailed stuff on others’ wrists. I’d try a different tattoo shop.

He said it was because of the size. He said even if he simplified the design, he’d have to do it about 2 inches square at a minimum.

ZombieKiller
Participant
@zombiekiller

This is a really bad idea for the size and placement, lines will bleed and the fact that its a lotus will not be apparent in 10 years.

Adler
Participant
@adler
ZombieKiller;86612 wrote:
This is a really bad idea for the size and placement, lines will bleed and the fact that its a lotus will not be apparent in 10 years.

Yup. And waht the artist is telling you is absolutely correct. 1/2 inch square? No way. What’s even the point? It’s not about simplifying the design, it’s about the miniature size you’re looking to get.

ArniVidar
@arnividar

Here’s your 0.5″ version:
vflotustattoo1.png

Can you imagine what happens to this tattoo once the lines start to blur?

Sinnaere
Participant
@sinnaere

I definitely see what ya’ll mean now. I wasn’t really thinking about the size that it would potentially be. That IS really tiny.

CakeMonster;86602 wrote:
I want my design to be about 1/2 inch square and on my wrist/forearm–about 3 inches below where hand meets wrist.

I had only read the second half of this sentence and thought she meant three inches.

JJ
Participant
@jj

Yeah, the size that you were thinking is almost impossible. I have tattoos on both of my wrists, while they are not elaborate by any definition, they are definitely bigger than what you were wanting.

If you want a lotus, and want it visible, I’d consider putting it somewhere else. Ankle? Shoulder? Hip? Places where it can still be covered if that is important to you but where you are not questioning the integrity of the design.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.