Abbi
Participant
@abbi

I have decided on getting a tattoo on the bottom of my sternum (the top of my stomach basically) and have it booked for the end of May.
However, during the consultation the artist seemed to have reservations on this particular tattoo. It is a Yin-yang symbol, and he was concerned about 1) The pain aspect (it’s my first tattoo) and 2) the more important aspect of my breathing during the tattoo messing it up.

I was just wanting some advice, I have wanted to get this done for some time and I’m very excited but his reservations have made me think twice!

I appreciate anyone’s opinions/advice on this.

reefdiver
Participant
@reefdiver

i have no idea of your pain threshold (or what it feels like in that area )

but , i’m curiouos, why get a yin/yang there,,,,,,,,,,,it doesn’t seem like it will flow very well, unless it has some art coming out of the sides or something ???????

post up a pic of what you are contemplating……..

Abbi
Participant
@abbi

It’s literally, if you imagine just under the breasts on the top of exactly where the stomach is… I would like it done as a reminder of the need for balance in my life, and that area (I feel) is my centre of gravity and where I feel everything.. That’s the reasoning.

The artist did mention something about flow as well, but I mentioned where it was and he said that area is relatively flat so….
The tattoo is a simple YinYang design, with a black outline and I was planing to leave the ‘white’ bit as just skin….

ralphk
Participant
@ralphk

i have one on both sides of my ribs one higher then the other but as far as the pain and breathing just let yourself focus on breathing normal and when your mind is focused on that the pain wont be as bad. I like your idea btw. once your endorfins kick in after a few mins the pain becomes minimal.actually after my 212 tattoo (my second) i never left somewhere feeling more alive, the pain is why i want more now… weird i know.

reefdiver
Participant
@reefdiver
ralphk;85168 wrote:
the pain is why i want more now…

wiat until your in the chair for over 3 hours…………;)

Abbi
Participant
@abbi

Yeah, the artist has told me that the breathing will be the most important thing to focus on when I get it done as he will have to get into the rhythm of it as well to stop the outline going wobbly or anything. Thanks, I love the idea. I was just concerned as he clearly had reservations about its placement, in fact the other fella there refused point blank to do it at all!

I’m excited!

Sherav
Participant
@sherav

Hi

Do you mean the point where your diaphragm is because that is the point where your lungs expand the chest area and stretch the skin the most.

Not so much a big deal but could be a pain for the artist to get a perfect circle if you are taking big breaths is all might have to lock your breathing a little 😉

Pain wise you will be ok it will hurt but you won’t die from it and most likely will think what was the fuss afterwards.

The only other issue is I guess it could look a little lonely just by itself but you get the work done for yourself and that is the most important thing is you like it.

If you have reservations about the artist go to another there are many reputable artists
who will do an equal job. (Just check em out properly first and none of this cheap/mates kitchen jobs)

Post up when you get done.

Take Care
Matthew

Abbi
Participant
@abbi

Hi, yes that is the point I’m on about, on top of the diaphragm, in the middle over exactly where the stomach is anatomically.. That tattoo will be about 5.5cm in diameter.

I don’t have reservations about the artist, I have my full confidences in him. What made me think twice was -his- reservations more to the point..

Maybe it will be a case of altering my breathing so its completely constant and predictable, so he can accommodate for the movements, that may make his job a little easier.. As for only getting this one, this is the only tattoo I’ve ever really wanted, I couldn’t believe it when they said it would be a lot harder than it seems!

Its booked for the 19th May, I will post an image when its done!

ralphk
Participant
@ralphk
reefdiver;85171 wrote:
wiat until your in the chair for over 3 hours…………;)

my tree took 4 hours… it did suck though

Wardy
Participant
@wardy

it’s very hard dude because you need to experience a tattoo yourself to know what your pain threshold is like whilst getting one.

Alot of people find tattoo’s very uncomfortable and really painful where as people like myself find them really relaxing and love the process of getting tattooed!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.