mattzink
Participant
@mattzink

This is a long shot, but I have to try (with apologies in advance if it’s already been asked):
I live in Indiana. I am interested in the traditional Polynesian style tattoos – not just the design, but the http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gknPSGnwQ4. Is there anyone in the midwest who does this?

A larger, more important question is this: what are the cultural ramifications of a person like me of European descent getting this tribal art? I try to be as respectful as possible of other cultures. I do not want to rip off something that has deep cultural significance to someone else. Is it disrespectful for me to get something like this done? Discuss. And let’s not have a flame war please.

Zenma
Participant
@zenma

Here in Hawaii there are a lot of people with Polynesian/Hawaiian tribal tattoos. Honestly there’s nothing people hate more than someone who has a tribal sleeve and doesn’t understand the significance behind it. Tribal tattoos are a sort of tradition to islanders and they are all given for reasons besides aesthetics. The main point of tribals are to either tell a story of some sort, or provide the wearer with ‘protection.’ It’s kind of like an art of storytelling within the art of tattooing.

Pacific Islanders normally don’t welcome the idea of Europeans wearing their ink, mainly because it has little to no significance to them.
In short, tribal tattoos are more than just tattoos. So don’t get it just because you like the design/method.

Good luck

TikiTurtle
Participant
@tikiturtle

Thats such bullshit in this time of age. Yes i understand they do have meanings and can tell a story. I got mine from a tahitian in bora bora, not a sleeve but a still has markings. I did get because it meant something to me AND i thought it looked bad ass. I saw locals with piercings and stretched ears which dont mean anything to their customs other than they like the look. I agree with the point if you dont know what any tattoo means dont get it but if you do and like how it looks by all means get it, its going to be on you for ever.

Tribal671
Participant
@tribal671

there are a few artists that do tribal art in polynesian melanesian or micronesian styles…. I would suggest you wait it out because its worth the investment to travel to a place and an artist that SPECIALIZES in pure pacific tribal art.

Tribal671
Participant
@tribal671

…and i would like to say bullshit to tikiturtles reply as well. Im a pacific islander and as one i think it’s awesome that you appreciate the art… Even though you’re not of island descent. its a culture and a tradition that’s slowly dying and a way for us to revive it is to share it with the world

happyb
Participant
@happyb
Zenma;84404 wrote:
Here in Hawaii there are a lot of people with Polynesian/Hawaiian tribal tattoos. Honestly there’s nothing people hate more than someone who has a tribal sleeve and doesn’t understand the significance behind it. Tribal tattoos are a sort of tradition to islanders and they are all given for reasons besides aesthetics. The main point of tribals are to either tell a story of some sort, or provide the wearer with ‘protection.’ It’s kind of like an art of storytelling within the art of tattooing.

Pacific Islanders normally don’t welcome the idea of Europeans wearing their ink, mainly because it has little to no significance to them.
In short, tribal tattoos are more than just tattoos. So don’t get it just because you like the design/method.

Good luck

i am too from hawaii, but alot of the stuff you see people are wearing don’t have meaning or a story behind it. they use the same elements as traditional stuff, but they are not put together how they are supposed to. i think it’s called neo poly or something like that. most people want the design cause it looks cool. to me is whatever floats your boat, but i personally would want it to be correct according to traditional standards.

yodaddynukka
Participant
@yodaddynukka

Tribal is awesome!!! Do it!!!!

ArniVidar
@arnividar

Your condescension is not welcome here. Cut it out!

seven8nein
Participant
@seven8nein

from a guy with a blade on a stick!

mattzink
Participant
@mattzink

Interesting discussion – really. I thank everyone for their responses.

It seems like the deciding factors for some who’ve answered my query are these:

• To get a Polynesian-style tattoo, it is a good idea to be of island descent.
  • Polynesian tattoos should have meaning beyond aesthetics for the person with the tattoo.

Honestly, I probably won’t get one for now. I’m of 100% European descent. I’ve never even been to any of the islands in the Pacific. If I lived their or spent time there living with/amongst islanders, if I had significant relationships with the people and had shown their traditions proper respect, I’d have absolutely no qualms about getting this sort of tattoo. Since that’s not in the cards for me – at least not now – I’ll hold off.

I also don’t think it’s bad that their is a spin or interpretation on Polynesian style tattoo – “Neo-Polynesian”. That means it’s not true Polyneisan and therefore doesn’t disrespect that tradition. It’s like how heavy metal is an interpretation of garage rock. (Or something.) They’re not the same, but do have commonalities.

However, as I mentioned before, I try to have as much respect as possible for other cultures. I think there is a fine line between being influenced by another culture and ripping it off wholesale. This became especially evident to me after moving home from living in the Navajo Nation for a few years and seeing dudes around here running around with feathers tattooed on their arms while blowing off Native Americans as shiftless, lazy, welfare robbers. At any rate, I’m going to elect to delay this sort of tattoo for now.

I appreciate the input and hope the discussion continues. The tattoo the user uploaded above is dope, btw.

mattzink
Participant
@mattzink

Also – seven8nein – do you have a larger pic of your tattoo that you can post?

kateglauds
Participant
@kateglauds

I’m Irish/Dutch and I have a traditional polynesian tattoo and so does my dad who is 100% Dutch. A little background on my foot tattoo:

I spent last summer sailing the South Pacific…Tahiti through to Bora Bora with my parents on their sailboat. We intermixed with the culture on every island (of which there are many). I couldn’t get one done while in the islands because we were scuba diving every day and that was the purpose of the trip. My dad however did get one done while there and it’s chronicled here: http://sv-grace.blogspot.com/2010/05/skin-deep.html as well as much of the history of the tattoos and pictures of his.

Mine is a symbol of protection, adaptability, strength, and wealth. It was earned after diving with the sharks and Mantas in the Tuamotus.

I disagree with what others have said. It is not disrespectful, as long as you know the meaning. They hated nothing more than whites coming in with their traditional tribals, not knowing what they have on their arms and not respecting the history and the culture.

Doesn’t matter if you don’t have island decent, they still accepted my parents and I into their homes and at their tables.

Polynesia is very welcoming in my experiences and very communal in their way of life.

As far as the traditional method…more power to you! As you can see in the pictures, even in the islands they will use traditional machines!

happyb
Participant
@happyb

all of the islands have different meanings even though they all look like. some nations are more accepting of outsiders than others. it’s very very rare to find an outsider to go to samoa and get a pe’a.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.