TheJuanAndOnly235
Participant
@thejuanandonly235

So I am very very new to the tattoo scene but I’m just completely hooked, I am on this forum 24/7.
Since I am new I am very bad at telling between a good and bad tattoo, I can tell when a tattoo is awesome and when one is just straight up bad but sometimes I have trouble telling if an artist is good or not

Well for my next tattoo I have two artists lined up and I was wondering if you guys could tell me if these guys are both good.

Also if you don’t mind can you explain in a lot of detail, I want to be able to tell on my own and I need as much guidance as possible.

here are there links

the first one is on facebook so I hope you guys can go through the album
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?id=100001349486164&aid=21932

This is the second one
http://www.myspace.com/chrisadamek/photos

legendasboy
Participant
@legendasboy

really love the 2nd artist tattoos the portraits are awasome

buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat

The second one by far

Adler
Participant
@adler

Don’t have facbook, Chris Adamek is pretty well known in the east and he is a fantastic artist. Where abouts are you from?

BossNass
Participant
@bossnass

To be honest, you could go with either. Both are damn good. But, i’d go with chris.

naj
Participant
@naj

The second artist is much better. Not saying that the first one is bad but the second artist captures color, shading, and lighting much better than the first. The first one is not a scratcher by any means but that second link has some of the best tattoos i have seen in a while.

By the way things that make a tattoo good vs bad…
1. Line work. Shitty tattoos have shaky lines.
2. Shading. If the shading is off the whole tattoo is off.
3. Lighting. The lighting, especially in a big piece, can really make or break a tattoo.

TheJuanAndOnly235
Participant
@thejuanandonly235
buttwheat;83486 wrote:
The second one by far

Yeah i feel the same way but I was kind off hoping you guys could maybe point out things from their tattoos that would explain to me why those specific tattoos are good

naj;83500 wrote:
The second artist is much better. Not saying that the first one is bad but the second artist captures color, shading, and lighting much better than the first. The first one is not a scratcher by any means but that second link has some of the best tattoos i have seen in a while.

By the way things that make a tattoo good vs bad…
1. Line work. Shitty tattoos have shaky lines.
2. Shading. If the shading is off the whole tattoo is off.
3. Lighting. The lighting, especially in a big piece, can really make or break a tattoo.

Thanks!! that does help im going to try and study those specific things in different artists

Adler;83488 wrote:
Don’t have facbook, Chris Adamek is pretty well known in the east and he is a fantastic artist. Where abouts are you from?

I am in central jersey, woodbridge township about an hour away, The tattoo of a half back with a waterfall thats someone I know and he recommended him

Also the first tattoo is the artist who did my family crest, When I looked at his work I thought it was awesome but for some reason according to you guys my guy had an off day lol

Adler
Participant
@adler

What style of tattoo are you looking to get next? Another great shop in Jersey but primarily specializing in old school, traditional tattoos is this:
http://electrictattoonj.com/section/6864.html

And yeah, look for symmetry, bold and vibrant colors, even shading and contrast (also for B/G), consistent lines that don’t go vary in thickness, lines that aren’t wobbly and are round where supposed to be and pointy where supposed to be and watch out for line blowouts where it looks like the ink has spread out of the lines.

TheJuanAndOnly235
Participant
@thejuanandonly235
Adler;83503 wrote:
What style of tattoo are you looking to get next? Another great shop in Jersey but primarily specializing in old school, traditional tattoos is this:

And yeah, look for symmetry, bold and vibrant colors, even shading and contrast (also for B/G), consistent lines that don’t go vary in thickness, lines that aren’t wobbly and are round where supposed to be and pointy where supposed to be and watch out for line blowouts where it looks like the ink has spread out of the lines.

Im trying to get a japanese style tattoo but idk if I want traditional japanese im going more for modern

and thanks I’ll check that link out when i get home

TopTattooPics
Participant
@toptattoopics

I would go with Chris as well. Amazing detail in his work. Share some pics afterwards with us.

TheJuanAndOnly235
Participant
@thejuanandonly235
Adler;83503 wrote:

There work looks great but kinda not my style, but I always like to look at work either ways so thanks either way!

buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat

So looking at different artist I look at line work is it clean not shaky at all no blowouts lines where they belong and none where they don’t. Look at the depth of the tattoo is it flat or does it look deep. and last does it make you go holy shit that’s fucking awesome.

A great tattoo
Krusty_the_clown_tattoo.jpg

A crappy tattoo

An average tattoo
Homer-Krusty-Riding-Tricycle-Tattoo.jpg

TheJuanAndOnly235
Participant
@thejuanandonly235

I can completely tell that the first tattoo is just awesome
it has depth, lines look great, and the shading is also great.

now the third tattoo
the lines seem to be just about flawless cant really tell with the distance
there is some good shading in it
and I guess I cant really say its awesome but definitely not poorly done
but is that just a poor choice in tattoo or could the artist have done something to make it better
if so what do you think would have made it better.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.