InkManHugh
Participant
@inkmanhugh

Hi folks,

I am trying to study information concerning the legend of both phoenixes and dragons for tattoos that will wrap around opposite arms between the elbows and wrists. After about two years of trying to collect information online and following few books borrowed from libraries I seem to be going around in circles. So I am hoping someone here can assist.

My plans are to have the Phoenix to be similar to an eagle or suchlike and the Dragon to be surrounded by water and be at least from the same culture if not one directly connected with the bird. This rules out the Egyptian Bennu which resembles the Heron which leaves me with Greek, Chinese or Japanese iconography. It is here that I am getting lost.

The Chinese and Sino-Japanese Fenghuang do not immolate in a nest of flames as way of rebirth. As they are associated with fire, obedience, the sun and justice if I have the bird surrounded by fire and have Kanji for the other associations would this lose the cultural significance? Similarly although many Chinese or Japanese dragons are associated with water I can’t find any that are linked directly to a Phoenix.

I have been determined to collect this information by myself but I am now well and truly stuck. Does anyone have any relevant websites that you could point me towards? It’s obviously difficult to obtain factual information concerning ancient cultures beliefs in mythological creatures but I seem to be making it difficult for myself.

Sorry if this seems anal but I love my ink and don’t want to screw up what will be the final tattoos before I start to plan my short sleeve bodysuit.

Thanks

Shuggy

Sherav
Participant
@sherav

Hi

In a general answer the dragon of both Chinese and Japanese mythology stemmed from the koi/fish evolving from the water and usually is considered to be a male aspect.

The Chinese phoenix although has both male and female counterparts is often cited as the female element.

People often believed that their emperor could change into a dragon in private and dragon face was a high compliment.

During the Han and Ming dynasty the phoenix was often associated with the female form when paired with a dragon.

This came to represent the emperor and empress that controlled the country.

Personally I think it would make a very nice tattoo.

Take care
Matthew

KrohDaddi
Participant
@krohdaddi

siegfried and brunhilde’s story is central to European mythology

Brunhilde’s familiar is the raven and she appears as such when accompanying her father Odin

Siegfried claimed the dragon’s horde of the Unconscious

Brunhilde immolated herself on Siegfried’s funeral pyre

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.