alwheeler7
Participant
@alwheeler7

1st and foremost, this post is not meant to be an ongoing argument over how stupid people are.

I only wanna say that when selecting a tattoo, it doesn’t HAVE to have meaning.

Yeah, memorials are cool and very significant to people, I have a close friend who has one 4 his grandmother, and I kno it means a lot 2 him.

But, I’ve been thinking about which tattoo should be my 1st, and i found some really cool tribal shoulder tats that I like a lot.

Yet so many people hate them because they have no meaning, or are too simple, or think that because your not a freaking aboriginee living in the African wild with lions and elephants, that you are a poser if u have 1.

It is ok to have a tattoo because it looks good.

Tattoos are art, and i believe they are art in its highest form, PERMANENT.

So i just would like to see how many people truly agree with what i am saying.

Have a nice day :).

clay1680
@

i agree to an extent because i have a tattoo which is simply because i thought it is badass but i also drew it myself and created a meaning for it. but i would always try to convince someone not to get tribal unless your heart set on getting it. they are probably the most kitsch design and, unless its done amazing and diff from everyone elses, they all look the same i dont think that you need to live in the jungle to get one but my god are there alot of people with these tribals that can be found in any unoriginal flash book. but if you really want it go for it but make it a little more interesting than thick black lines, maybe add some depth, shading, line variation to make it a better peice of art based on the formal issues of tribal.

Adler
Participant
@adler

I agree not all tattoos have to have meaning but with the TV Ink shows more people feel there has to be a deep story behind every tattoo. I have a couple with meaning and a couple just for the artwork. Personally, I don’t like tribal because to me they lack artistic creativity and beauty. I agree many tattoos are art but I don’t view tribal as art.

BossNass
Participant
@bossnass

Do not get a tribal tattoo, dear god. They are the most cliche, over-used tattoos. Get something else unless you have your heart set on it. I mean, I have skulls on my shoulder from a MetallicA shirt. It really doesn’t have a meaning other than that I love MetallicA and wanted that tattoo. My next tattoo will have meaning though.

DavidJednat
Participant
@davidjednat

I see nothing wrong with tribal. Maori designs are so incredible and detailed and have so much meaning to the wearer. The same goes for Hawaiian. I would say to pick an actual “tribe” who’s designs you’d like to emulate. Thorns, thick black lines, and swirls aren’t necessarily tribal but have adopted the name because of the simplicity of the designs. The problem with “tribal” is that most of it is not done well.

Prospective customers need to do more research and find the proper artist. Too many people settle for an artist out of convenience regardless of their qualifications. They’ve got money burning a hole in their pocket and they’ll take the first available appointment with the first available artist at the first shop they visit because they want a tattoo NOW!

If you want a tribal tattoo get the absolute best tribal tattoo from the absolute best artist specializing in that artform that you can find. Prove all the haters wrong and get a really great tattoo whether it has meaning or not.

On another note, tattooers are not therapists or psychiatrists. They are artists and they are hired to create a work of art. If that art has meaning for you, great! If not, it’s no big deal to most artists. They just want to make a tattoo that you and they can be proud of.

alwheeler7
Participant
@alwheeler7

Thanks guys, I appreciate your opinions and advice, tribal is just an idea i have for my tattoo, but not just for the thick thorns and black color.

The reason i started this thread is because yesterday i went 2 a tattoo parlour to get an estimate on a tribal half sleeve, but i couldn’t even convey my idea 2 the artist because he tried so hard 2 talk me out of it, that i got pissed off and left. I won’t mention the name of the tattoo parlour, because i have seen his work and he is a very talented artist for a southern indiana man trying to make it. And i have a lot of respect for him, because he opened up the 1st tattoo parlour in the area.

Basically, the tattoo i want is a tribal dragon, or possibly a bear or wolf. I haven’t settled on an idea just yet, but i have been looking through designs on the internet, and i think they look really cool.

I have no tattoos at this point, and i am very new 2 the tattoo scene, but i will say that after weeks of research, i prefer tribal designs.

From a newbie’s standpoint, i greatly appreciate all the advice you guys are giving me, but at the end of the day, the tattoo is for me, not for any1 else. I respect everyone’s opinion, because i am a strong believer that if you want something, you go for it.

The tribal i get will definitely be different from every1 else who has 1, because it will incorporate the metallica ninja star, as well as color, and some sort of animal.

Once again thank you for your opinion, and keep them coming, because i take every one of them into account.

buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat

Only one of tattoos has any meaning.

alwheeler7
Participant
@alwheeler7
buttwheat;83185 wrote:
Only one of tattoos has any meaning.

Buttwheat, i dont quite understand what you mean.

Are you saying only one of your tattoos has meaning?

buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat
alwheeler7;83187 wrote:
Buttwheat, i dont quite understand what you mean.

Are you saying only one of your tattoos has meaning?

Yes that’s what I meant. Please Forgive me sometimes English is hard for me.

alwheeler7
Participant
@alwheeler7

Thanks for clearing that up haha.

irishman301
Participant
@irishman301

I like my tattoos to have meaning personally, but I am also not opposed to people (or myself) getting tattoos just because they like the like.

I like to get custom work rather than flash art, so in thinking of what I want to get, naturally I come up with something that has some sort of “meaning” behind it. Even if it was just some random design that I created, that’s the meaning right there – it’s something I created (I’m not an artist though, so none of my tattoos are designs I created :D).

I’ve been tattooed 8 times so far, and will be going for my 9th session on Thursday. 4 of mine have real meaning to me, 1 of them is flash art off the wall, and the other 3 are just “decorative” pieces that enhance the other ones. My 9th one has meaning behind it. I’m not sure what the next 15 will be about though – meaning or just art :).

Ross_W
Participant
@ross_w

I suppose my tattoos do have meaning in the sense that there are all related to something i really like. My terminator skull i got because i have loved those movies since i was a child, same with alien and predator battle scene, the musical symbols on my fingers because i really like playing music on my guitar bass and piano. But tattoos dont need a meaning to be worthwhile. Most non-tattooed people watch shows like Miami Ink and LA Ink where every tattoo has a dramatic story behind, so they assume thats exactly what happens in real life when getting one. In reality, strangers looking from afar wont know the meaning behind your tattoo (they may not even care), they will only see what is on your skin. In the end, a poorly done tattoo that has a lot of meaning behind it is still a poor tattoo.

alwheeler7;83182 wrote:
Basically, the tattoo i want is a tribal dragon, or possibly a bear or wolf. I haven’t settled on an idea just yet, but i have been looking through designs on the internet, and i think they look really cool.

I have no tattoos at this point, and i am very new 2 the tattoo scene, but i will say that after weeks of research, i prefer tribal designs.

From a newbie’s standpoint, i greatly appreciate all the advice you guys are giving me, but at the end of the day, the tattoo is for me, not for any1 else. I respect everyone’s opinion, because i am a strong believer that if you want something, you go for it.

The tribal i get will definitely be different from every1 else who has 1, because it will incorporate the metallica ninja star, as well as color, and some sort of animal.

Once again thank you for your opinion, and keep them coming, because i take every one of them into account.

I try to appreciate most tattoos, but ive never understood getting a “tribal animal”. Why not just get an a tattoo of the actual animal. A realistic, fully coloured and fleshed out tattoo of wolf would be far more interesting than a tribal wolf could ever be. Tribal just never has the same impact as other styles of tattoos. Even the very intricate polynesian style tribal, while much more interesting than the crap most muscle heads sport, just doesnt do it enough for me to get something like that.

Also, try not throw together to many unrelated ideas into one piece. Tattoos can become easily cluttered this way. Also, welcome to tattoo club 🙂

Sherav
Participant
@sherav

Hi

The only thing that matters is whether you like the tattoo or not.
Whether it is a personal meaning or just for art is a personal choice.

The reason people assign meaning to their ink is not something new and has been around since the start of tattooing (most tattoos in cultures started based upon ethnic or spiritual identity)- you are getting something permanent on the body and for many it will demonstrate a personal/spiritual/memorial/belief.

The increase in great artists and more accessibility allows us more freedom of choice and many now do get it simply for the art of the ink.

There is no right or wrong answer to it.

As for the tribal issue – many artists simply hate doing it as they feel it does not challenge their artistic capabilities (in the terms of fine art). Others have no view and again others will love the style.

The main reason is that it is disliked by artists is that there is a lot of black filling required and to get this to look good takes time and I suppose can be quite monotonous for the artist.

I you have the money you will find a reputable artist who is willing to do it but many may try to talk you out of it.

The key question is do you want it in 20-30 years?

Post up if you get it done.

Take Care
Matthew

alwheeler7
Participant
@alwheeler7

Hey guys thanks for the opinions 🙂

I’m taking them all into account and i really appreciate all the help.

Who knows maybe ill find a design i like more in the coming weeks.

As for the tribal, i dont know why i like it so much, its probably got something 2 do with the kind of music im into, bands like suicide silence and all that remains. I like hardcore stuff, and thats wat i want in a tattoo.

Ill definitely post it when i get it done, but i get payed every other week so it’ll be a few more weeks b4 i get it done. Maybe thats a good thing so ill have time 2 find something i like better? who knows.

Anyways thanks again guys have a good week

Seven92
Participant
@seven92

because its on u for life. u want it to have significance u know what im sayin? haha

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.