Seven92
Participant
@seven92

http://veritasindagator.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/ouroboro.jpg

hey all,

I’m looking at getting a new tattoo and i came across ouroboros. they look sick and have a variety of meanings. anybody familiar with these tattoos who could tell me about them? from my understanding they have a lot of different meanings and symbology so i’d like to learn a little more about them before putting one on my body. thanks

clay1680
@

dont know anything about the symbolysm but ive seen this exact tat on some guys back i think on deviantart. ill try and find a pic because he said some backgorund of the design also

EDIT: Ouroboros – serpent (or dragon) swallowing its own tail and forming a circle.

In Alchemy, the Ouroboros is a purifying sigil.

clay1680
@

clay1680
@

not the one i was thinking of but this one is STRAIGHT KILLER

2edct1e.jpg

Seven92
Participant
@seven92

that one looks awesome, i appreciate the replies if anyone can explain to me some of the meanings i’d appreciate it i mean ive read about it but was wondering if anyone had any additional insight

ArniVidar
@arnividar

The Ouroboros often represents self-reflexivity or cyclicality, especially in the sense of something constantly re-creating itself, the eternal return, and other things perceived as cycles that begin anew as soon as they end (compare with phoenix). It can also represent the idea of primordial unity related to something existing in or persisting before any beginning with such force or qualities it cannot be extinguished. The ouroboros has been important in religious and mythological symbolism, but has also been frequently used in alchemical illustrations, where it symbolizes the circular nature of the alchemist’s opus.

Sherav
Participant
@sherav

Hi

Ouroboros has often been referred to as the Great Worm of the Earth and for many in mythology represented the cycle of life and death in nature and the universe.

It can also be used to reflect the insatiable hunger for power or evil in that these actions will end up in the devouring of oneself after all sustenance has gone.

However the most common factor as already stated is the idea of cycle and never ending existence.

Take care
Matthew

KrohDaddi
Participant
@krohdaddi
Sherav;83244 wrote:
Hi

It can also be used to reflect the insatiable hunger for power or evil in that these actions will end up in the devouring of oneself after all sustenance has gone.

Take care
Matthew

^this one is i think / maybe is referred to as ‘the false Uroboros’ in Jungian psychology
not the alchemical marriage to the true bride but something gone wrong

i think there is a signifigance to how many heads there are

some are just one head swallowing itself by the tail

others have two or more separate serpents ingesting one another mutually

don’t know exactly which means what but i would find out before i had it put on me

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.