Smnth
Participant
@smnth

So, I have a few tattoos currently – one on each of my calves, one around my right ankle, and I’m working on a full back tattoo right now.

One of my calf tattoos took two sittings, and I just had siting number three on my back piece. This means that I’ve now sat seven times for a tattoo.

I sat on the 10th of this month for about two hours while he did a lot of shading with a 31 magnum. (I sound smarter than I am, I just asked him what i t was because it looked quite scary. It was HUGE!)

Then I sat again a couple days ago – on the 21st – and he used a much smaller needle. But it hurt worse than any tattoo I’ve ever gotten – including around my ankle or behind my knee. It felt like electrocution at times, or burning, or burning electrocution… I can’t adequately describe it. The level of pain I experienced was far beyond any of the other 6 previous times I sat.

I have NO idea why. I sweated through my pants on his table and spent the whole time cursing and pulling my hair out. He could tell how hard it was for me and we stopped after about an hour and 15 minutes.

What the hell went wrong? I don’t claim to “like” the sensation of getting tattooed – and in fact every time I get inked I tell myself I’m never doing it again. The pain, to me, is just the price you have to pay. But usually I can sit for up to 3 hours (which I still think is kind of on the wussy side). What in the world would happen on time number SEVEN that I can’t stand it for a mere 75 minutes?

Am I just insane?

BigZach
Participant
@bigzach

Where is the tat located?

It sounds like he could have pressed way to hard..

Bixler
Participant
@bixler

did you eat before the session? Did you go out and party the night before? I have over 60 hours of work done, and one session on my ribs felt like i was going to die; we ended the session early. I stayed out too late the night before, overslept my appointment and then didn’t eat beforehand. A little thing as small as missing a meal or being overly tired can have a huge affect on how you recieve the pain. Just my two cents.

Qt-manic
Participant
@qt-manic

Adrenilin can mask allot of pain. If your adrenilin leavels, or blood sugar levels are low you can feel allot more pain .while your adrenilin levels are high you matabilise sugars rapidly and can cause people to feel sick and lightheaded, this usually happens only the first few times, soon your body tunes itself to allot of nerve stimulus. As for the comment about staying out drinking late the night before can make an effect, It sure can, especially if it was the Tattooist. Hha

stubarber
Participant
@stubarber

Also there are a lot of nerve endings around the bones in your ankles, and the back of a knee can be a rather tender spot. Neither are going to be like tattooing a chunk of mussle like we’ve got on our calfs or on our backs.

Smnth
Participant
@smnth

The tattoo is on my back, and my artist jumps around a lot, so the area that was covered was from my mid back up to my shoulders. That’s what made me think that there was something wrong with me and not just the location – because the location varied a lot.

I was wondering if it was possible that I wasn’t completely healed from the previous session? Once on the 10th and again on the 21st?

I was tired, and a little sick, and hadn’t eaten much – that’s all true. Could just generally “not having a good day” make the pain THAT much worse though? I mean, I was literally talking myself through every minute – and usually I don’t have to start doing that until 45 or 60 minutes in. Usually there’s painful spots and “ok” spots. There were almost no “ok” spots. It was just…. bad.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.