OPP
@

Hi guys,

I’m new here and would like some insight on a tattoo idea. For the past year or so have been deciding if I want a tattoo or not in memory of my mother who past away. My mother past when I was 7 years old and I’m not sure an appropriate and respectable way to remember her. Seeing as I was very young, my memory is limited to what I know about her.

Any ideas or suggestions would really help. What you know about other people in a similar situation or you yourself has done would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

maxx1221
Participant
@maxx1221

I feel like a portrait is always a great way to do a memorial tattoo! However, I considered it once, (for my great grandmother) but decided against it. Although this may sound stupid to some people, but I would never want to be “in the bedroom” and strip down to seeing a portrait of my great grandmother. So maybe a back placement or something would have worked….. but thats just me. Maybe talk to other family members about more ideas to incorporate to the piece.

poxphobia
Participant
@poxphobia
maxx1221;78397 wrote:
I feel like a portrait is always a great way to do a memorial tattoo! However, I considered it once, (for my great grandmother) but decided against it. Although this may sound stupid to some people, but I would never want to be “in the bedroom” and strip down to seeing a portrait of my great grandmother. So maybe a back placement or something would have worked….. but thats just me. Maybe talk to other family members about more ideas to incorporate to the piece.

Thank god I’m not the only one!!!! I got in it with a guy who has his parents tattoed on his chest… Honestly, it totally creeped me out 😛

But yeah, a portrait is a good way to do. But as you didn’t know your mom too well.. Why not ask your dad, her parents if they are still alive, etc? What seemed to be important to her? What do they say that you have from her? Maybe find something that the two of you share, or something that mattered to her.
Memorial tattoos can be truly beautiful.

JENerationX
Participant
@jenerationx

I’m getting my tattoo in June, and one of the things that I wanted to incorporate is a memorial for my Grandmother. Rather than a name or portrait, I’m using a bird that had significance for us. I think portraits are beautiful, but personally felt a little weird about having her face on me.

Aahzz
Participant
@aahzz

Is there something your mother loved that would make a good image? My father, for example, loved tulips. When I got my first tattoo, I added a tulip at the base of the tree to add a memorial element for dad. I like that kind of memorial more than a portrait or big “In memory of” banner myself. Think about something symbolic and meaningful to you and your mom.

JENerationX
Participant
@jenerationx
Aahzz;78420 wrote:
Is there something your mother loved that would make a good image? My father, for example, loved tulips. When I got my first tattoo, I added a tulip at the base of the tree to add a memorial element for dad. I like that kind of memorial more than a portrait or big “In memory of” banner myself. Think about something symbolic and meaningful to you and your mom.

People I’ve talked to about what I’m going to do thought I was weird taking my normal bird and adding some fantasy elements to it to signify moving through changes and keeping a positive spirit. They suggested portraits, crosses, initials, etc. When I saw yours, I knew I wasn’t crazy. I love that tulip. It’s a great memorial without being an obvious memorial piece.

OPP – What do you remember that your mother loved, and what do you remember doing together? Mine will combine some of the memories of the best times I had with my grandmother. I think using something that she loved, or a happy memory would be a great tattoo because it’s a reminder of life and love rather than a reminder of death and loss.

Adler
Participant
@adler
Aahzz;78420 wrote:

That sums up my opinion as well. I have a tattoo dedicated to my parents who are actually still alive, I didn’t want to wait until they were dead and then get a “memorial” piece. Mine involves an anchor (for my dad’s Naval service), music notes from an actual verse (my mom’s a singer) and a heart to represent their love and current 55 years of marriage. There’s also 3 small circles to represent me and my 2 siblings. My parents aren’t big fans of tattoos but got choked up when they saw it. I was originally going to get a cross and banner but got talked out of it and I’m so glad.

JENerationX
Participant
@jenerationx

Nice piece Adler!!!! I love the detail on the top of the anchor…. very cool. I wouldn’t think those elements would go together, but they look great.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.