Kellytatt
Participant
@kellytatt

Anyone every had an allergy to the inks used in tattoos? I recently got a new tattoo and am reacting to some of the inks – got the tatt six weeks ago. Annoying – my first in 20 years, had a few in my mis-spent youth … Anyway, is there a chance my body will adapt to the inks if it is an allergy, do you know? Or any suggestions on how to ‘treat’ the allergy? Or for how long? 🙁

Sherav
Participant
@sherav

Hi

There are anti-histermines that can reduce swelling, itching, and blistering. The problem with allergic reactions is that the contents of the pigment are embedded into the lower dermis so it can be a very long time before the reactive contents breakdown enough to be tolerated by your body.

Most ppl tend to find that their reactions calm down within 2-3 months but for some only laser removal is the answer (this is is the extreme end of the spectrum).

Otherwise all i can suggest is keeping it clean, taking some anti-histermines, and putting non-scented lotion on.

Really is a waiting game.

Also if you use steroidal creams this can damage the ink by bleaching the skin.

Take Care
Matthew

Kellytatt
Participant
@kellytatt

Many thanks for that – I’ve been popping my hayfever tablets for a week or so, and rubbing the site with antibiotic cream (another recommendation I found online), which does alleviate the symptoms more than a bit; I’m glad I’m on the right sort of track, and that there may be light at the end of the tunnel – I don’t think my reaction is as severe as some I’ve seen, so I’m going to rely on the power of positive thinking and hope that a few months will see me through ….

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.