MMah
@

This may seem strange, but I’m going to be getting a tattoo soon so I can hopefully get into the army with no fuss. You see, I have scars on my arms that look like self mutilation scars, and my recruiter has advised me that it would be beneficial if I got tattoos over them – I guess MEPS is crazy about these kind of things.

I just want to know what you guys think – I’m thinking about getting a snake on my upper arm (there are two deep cuts), and a scorpion on my wrist. I think it would look pretty cool once finished ( I saw this really sick green snake on google I like ).

Would this help cover the scars? The scars on my upper arm are raised a bit, but I’m assuming with a tattoo this wouldn’t be that noticable right?

And I know you all want to tell me not to, for whatever reason, but I have read up a lot on this and I have found that tattooing over scars is generally OK as long as you start slow and make sure it takes ink OK. I have seen a lot of pictures with the scars being covered. I’m just wondering, from your experience, how much difference does this make – my life pretty much depends on me joining the army so I’m trying anything I can here I’m really really desperate, if this doesn’t go through I don’t know where I’ll be living heh. So any help would be greatly appreciated!

Gsouder
Participant
@gsouder

Suggestion: Use the search feature. this has been discussed many times before. Also, I have no idea why covering a scar would have anything to do with you getting into the army. Are you trying to join? Or are you trying to not join? Does the army not take people with scars?

Sherav
Participant
@sherav

Hi

From personal experience most scars can be tattooed over with the exception of skin graphs which are under 12 mths old (even then it is so/so) or deep burn scars.

The more raised or very deep scars can be difficult and will require 2-3 sittings.

Most surface scars are quite easy to cover.

That said I have to put the question have you healed the reason(s) that those scars got there in the first place?

The forces is suggesting as they look for signs of psychological trauma (as they are providing you with a gun) and cutting is a tale tale sign.

Also whilst I hope you never have to the chances are you will have to kill somebody as part of your role and then live with it afterwards.

That carries a lot of psychological weight by itself and you really need to look into why you want to join the forces – if it is to get away there are easier options.

Otherwise I wish you the very best of luck.

Take Care
Matthew

mamajess
Participant
@mamajess

Didn’t he say they just looked like self-mutilation? Not that they were…

Sherav
Participant
@sherav

Hi

I never said that they were self inflicted – I was asking whether he had got over how they got there (even if they were done by somebody else the emotional effect of been cut up is not easy).

Also the armed forces look for signs and make assumptions so if you have razor or similar scars on your arms they will most likley assume they are self inflicted – even if that is not true.

That is why it was suggested that ink would disguise the issue not that they are self inflicted but that they may look like they can be.

I am in a similar position at work

I came off my motorbikle and have a fractured arm, couple cracked ribs, broken nose, black eyes and a big gash down my leg that looks like somebody took a razor to it.

My manager is convinced I have been in a serious fight – even though he has no proof it just looks that way.

Take care
Matthew

tattooholic
Participant
@tattooholic

Wouldn’t it be easier to check for cosmetic procedures that will hide the scars?

PandorasJar
Participant
@pandorasjar

Army is cracking down on tattoos is it not?
I’d really look into before going for it, especially a wrist piece.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.