tatcanvas
Participant
@tatcanvas

hi everyone,

i have a tattoo on my forearm of a native american thunderbird, it was done approx 3 years ago. my problem is i had a reaction to the red ink the tattooist used, it raised up off my skin approx 3-4mm and was really sore for ages, it has now gone down and leached 90% of the colour out. I want to get this fixed, it has been really settled for about a year and a half now so in was thinking of getting it tattooed over ( by a different better qualified tattooist) does anyone know if this might aggrevate the site again or not?

southern_rebel_rose
Participant
@southern_rebel_rose

If it has been that long since you got the tattoo done, I don’t think it would. I think it was a reaction to the specific ink that the artist used.

I think your best bet would be to speak to the artist who you plan to have do the work on it, and tell him about that experience and see what he has to say. He will know more about how to handle it if he is truly a good tattooist.

I just think that it was that particular batch of red ink that caused the problem.

Is this particular tattoo your first? Do you have other tattoos?

slang
Participant
@slang

Had a bad reaction to a red ink on my finger. Went over it a year later with a different colour and it was fine:)

Sherav
Participant
@sherav

Hi

The red menace is usually down to use of Cadmium Red and/or Cinnabar are to be avoided at all costs due to their high level of toxicity.

They can also contain Naptha-AS, which is highly flammable and can be carcinogenic. This is mainly used in fuels such as paraffin. An extract of Naptha is Napthol, which whilst less volatile and allergy causing is still quite toxic.

Alternatively it was a reaction to a high iron oxide content which does happen to a few.

My advice is try a very small test area and see how it heals – if it reacts badly again use a different colour over the orig.

Also make sure the artist is using a quality known ink brand and should be ok.

Take Care
Matthew

tatcanvas
Participant
@tatcanvas

Thanks guys,

i have since spoken to my artist and he knows his shit pretty well, he has complete confidence that it should be fine. I just got another tattoo finished over the weekend and he used his good quality red ink in parts of it which seems to be doing fine, i am now happy that my tattoo on my forearm should be sweet to finish

thanks for the help

ArniVidar
@arnividar
tatcanvas;76017 wrote:
he used his good quality red ink in parts of it which seems to be doing fine

So you’re saying he also had poor quality red ink… the one he uses on everybody who doesn’t ask for ‘the good stuff’ ?

PandorasJar
Participant
@pandorasjar
ArniVidar;76021 wrote:
So you’re saying he also had poor quality red ink… the one he uses on everybody who doesn’t ask for ‘the good stuff’ ?

I believe he was comparing against the previous artists ink.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.