Sherav
Participant
@sherav

I have recently returned from my trip to HK and whilst there I managed to squeeze some time into checking out the tattoo scene.

My main base was Kowloon but I also managed to travel further afield to Hong Kong Island, and The New Territories, amongst other sections.

Culture

Hong Kong is a strange mix of progressive and vibrant art but underlying this is a element of traditional conservative Chinese thinking. There is also a strong Christian following (both Protestant and Catholic) presence in Kowloon. This means that whilst polite in their requests heavy tattoos are still somewhat taboo in many areas and despite the heat and humidity they will expect you to cover them up in some restaurants, shops, temples/places of worship.

Within the main tourist areas this is not really a big deal but if you go further be prepared to be asked to cover them.

Hygiene

I visited a number of ‘studios’ whilst travelling and many of them were simply done out of peoples’ small flats. Rental space in HK is very expensive and so you would often be ushered into the living room filled with family members and people waiting to be tattooed. This was quite popular with mainland Chinese workers and Koreans who had come over to HK to work. This was all word of mouth among the out laying areas far from the tourist areas.

In the most extreme examples the place was filthy and even had livestock (chickens) in the tattooing area. The needles were soaked in alcohol and a tar-like dye was boiled up and used.

We shared a meal but did not share any ink 🙂

Some other more professional studios were the bases for what my friend suggested was illegal gambling and organised crime.

Many of the customers were sporting serious gang ink – sadly they refused to let me photograph them as they said the police often identify them through their ink. Also I was a foreigner how could they trust me?

Again many of these were word of mouth and did not openly advertise as tattoo studios – one was actually fronted by a soup and noodle shop in the front. I think my ink got me temp access as the artist were interested on the Western take on far Eastern art.

I have selected 4 studios which showed to have sterile needles, clean studios, a professional approach, speak English and actually had decent work.

Top of the list was

Star Crossed Tattoos 2/F, 57 Granville Road
Tsim Sha Tsui
Kowloon
Hong Kong SAR

Very easy to reach by MTR (underground train).
English speaking.
Western and eastern styles and VERY hygenic.
Good mix of art and styles.

If you were to get inked here would be my first port of call based on level of skill hygiene and language.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Moving down the list:
Tribal Tattoo
Tony Lam
3rd Floor
581 Nathan Road
Mong Kok
Kowloon

This is part of a chain of about 3 I met Tony Lam who spoke reasonable English and was a good artist.
The downside was that the floor was a bit messy – could have been because i was late night visit and was towards end of shift and that he had a dog running around the tattoo area.
Not a big deal but I am very fussy.
Clean needles and clean equip set up tho. Also very keen on regular glove changes.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Tattoo
Mat
Flat 1 1/F James Lee Mansion
Prat Avenue
T.S Kowloon
Awesome guy English was a bit limited (I think more my accent than anything).
Small place and again had a dog and cat running around.
Clean area and needles though.
Would consider if you want some hardcore Thai/Chinese inspired body suits.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Sammy Tattoo Studio
69 1/F Fau Tsoi Street
Yuen Long

Another small studio but speaks reasonable English.

Good artist clean needles and equipment but would suggest not for newbies.
The reason I say this is that his clientel was pretty hardcore and it seems he tends to work on big pieces and custom work.

Hope this helps should you find yourself out this way.

Take Care
Matthew

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.