unceltic
Participant
@unceltic

Hi, I’ve been looking to get my 3rd tattoo for months now and going to approach an artist about it (at last!) but wondered whether artists get snotty if you use other artists’ designs as a guide to what you want?

Whilst I’ve been looking for what I want, I’ve gathered a few bookmarks of designs to show the kind of thing I’m after (not after a copy of course) and wanted to show these to the artist. It’ll have to be an email job as the artist is an hour and a half away from me.

My first 2 tattoos are little ones I got in my late teens and were just picked off the wall so I’ve not had this issue before.

DizziDip
Participant
@dizzidip

My latest one is a creation of the artists mind. I couldn’t find anything that truly represented what i wanted, so i gave Chris free reign to “doodle” (for want of a better word!) I’m having it finished on Friday.

Have you met the tattooist that you plan on getting to do this one for you? I’m just thinking that an hour and a bit isn’t that far to travel for quality work, and a one to one can give you both a feel for each other and maybe inbetween communicate by email?

Hope you get sorted 🙂

DD xx

unceltic
Participant
@unceltic

I haven’t met the artist – spent a while trying to figure out who to get to do it tbh and reckon based on what I’m after Myth at Indigo is the one to approach first. Totally love his work. I’d be happy to go and meet him if he said he’d design me something in his own style based on some of the things I like, but I don’t want to start off by offending the guy by say “here, you’re great, but can you base me a tattoo on [any other tattoist]’s design?”

I like his B&G style, but I like the designs I’ve seen elsewhere.

DizziDip
Participant
@dizzidip

But if you love his work then show him the things you like and let him add his style and vision to it and that way you’ll end up with something that is truly yours and not merely a copy from someone else?

DD xx

unceltic
Participant
@unceltic
DizziDip;75083 wrote:
But if you love his work then show him the things you like and let him add his style and vision to it and that way you’ll end up with something that is truly yours and not merely a copy from someone else?

DD xx

Which is pretty much what I want him to do – I want his style and vision but these are examples of what I’ve found similar to where I want him to start from.

Sherav
Participant
@sherav

Hi

The best thing to do is what I did for my custom backpiece.
I took in the main elements of what i wanted with varying examples from the internet and the core picture design.
I then asked the artist to go wild in his own style incorporating what I really liked.

Every artist will look at your ideas and examples in their own style and will not be offended by showing them images of what you want to base your piece off.

They might take offence if you say i want an exact copy of somebody else’s custom ink but otherwise it is art and impressionism.

Take care
Matthew

gruntledfemale
@

Hi! I’ve been going to my artist Quinn at Catalyst Tattoo for years (I am very sad she and her shop are moving to California 🙁 as she is amazing but thats how it goes sometimes) She and the other artists that work with her aren’t usually willing to do straight up other artists work. They are usually willing to use the idea as a jump off point but they have never ever used the actual design they have always come up with something original and unique from the original jump off. They usually consider using other artists work an infringement on their work and will only allow the idea that they turn into something new. If you have an idea consider bringing it to your artist and allow them to jump off from there.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.