Alyfaye
Participant
@alyfaye

I know I need to add some more shading but it needs another element. I am thinking about lyrics but I can’t figure out where to put them. Any ideas on how I can improve this piece?

Morwin Nerdbane
Participant
@morwin-nerdbane

I woudn’t add anything to it. It’s very pretty as it is and it’d be a shame to spoil it just for the sake of getting another tattoo. In this case simple is better.Put the lyrics somewhere else if you want them….Unless it’s the Japanese folk song ‘Sakura’ (that’s a joke….it’s a song about spring and cherry blossom)

ArniVidar
@arnividar

Personally I think text would completely ruin that piece. Shade, add more blossoms, some wind or birds or whatever.. anything but text.

Alyfaye
Participant
@alyfaye

do you think adding text a couple inches above it towards the front of my ribs would still ruin it? I have a lot of space there and I really want to get the lyrics. It might sound silly, but I told my mom I wouldn’t tattoo any other parts of my body, that I’d stick to that side and the tattoo I have on my foot. I don’t plan to follow through on that, but for now…she really took it personally when I got this piece against her will.

Speaking of that..has anyone else had parents/family that took your tattoos horribly?? How did you handle it? My parents are VERY anti-tattoo.

ArniVidar
@arnividar

Well, if you already know you won’t abide by that promise, why are you planning your new stuff around it? 🙂

Do these lyrics have to come now? I mean, could it wait until your family are more used to it and you decide to break the promise and then get it in a place where you feel it should go?

I’m not necessarily saying it shouldn’t go where you’re thinking of it, but you shouldn’t decide upon a place just because you’ve limited yourself temporarily.

Now, personally I don’t much like text ink, except in some special cases, but if it’s far enough away from the tree and the blossoms I guess it wouldn’t detract from that. But I think maybe you would do better by creating some sort of background (lots of shading perhaps?) to create better contrast and fill in that ink, fix the blossoms just a tad, perhaps add more blossoms and leaves, and then fade the ink out in all direction to ‘end’ it and create a sort of barrier. After that barrier, as I picture it in my mind, you can start a whole different theme and do whatever, without that detracting from this one.

As for the parents issue, luckily mine realize they have absolutely no say in what I do, so they don’t much care about the ink. I do however, owe them money so they wouldn’t take kindly to me getting new ink and not paying them back 😀

Gsouder
Participant
@gsouder

I would say some shading, wind bars and maybe some recoloring/redefining of the lines. If you really want the lyrics in there incorporate them into the wind bars.

inkbyj
Participant
@inkbyj

you could add some wildlife like a crane or some other kind of bird to it. I would also add some really subtle background to it.

Alyfaye
Participant
@alyfaye

Thanks for the input everyone! I’ve decided to get some really light wind shaded behind the blossoms when I go back to get more shading done to them.

Arnividar- I guess I’m just really impatient…but you’re right I shouldn’t plan my stuff around a promise that everyone knows I have no intention of keeping :rolleyes: I owe my parents money too – about 50k in student loans 😮

But, I still think I want to add the lyrics on the same side anyway. I’m only 20. I might want a clean set of ribs down the road. I’m thinking of getting them just under the boob towards the front of my ribs. How’s the pain there compared to where my current tattoo is situated? Does any have both areas covered? It doesn’t make any difference. I’m just curious.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.