TattooVirgin
Participant
@tattoovirgin

My first pair are 4 months old, 2nd pair 3 weeks and 3rd pair 1 day old. We all know how amazingly solid and vibrant tats look once done. But as time passes and it becomes fully healed over the months, its not as vibrant. My first set of tats are still black but not the crazy mad bold black when first done up. It healed perfectly too!

Im probably super paranoid but all summer i have been covering up when im outside with a long sleeve or coat. Even if it was +30C out I still have a coat on, I look like a complete idiot but I dont care. And even then, I always stay in the shade whenever possible.

I did put sunblock on my first set for a couple months until i got the recent ones. But i figure summer is pretty much over now so im good for sunblock for the rest of this year. Once all my tats are fully healed I plan on using sunblock on them everytime even if its just walking to the corner store on a cloudy day. Cause from what I was told if you want to minimize the fading over the years you need to cover up 100% from the sun at all costs.

Aside from that, I see people with old tats that were black but now grey. I dont want that. I want to prevent that. All my tats are jet black and i want it to stay jet black.

So aside from my crazy paranoid “staying out of the sun” routine, is there any other things i can do?

looney bin escapee
Participant
@looney-bin-escapee

hahaha…..

no matter what you do, over the years, it’ll fade. Some of those tatts you’ve seen that are grey are probably older than dirt. It also depends on the quality of the work that was done and the ink choices that artist made.

As far as your part goes, just don’t get lazy on the care of your tatts. They should stay as vibrant as they can possibly be. My colored ones are over 4 years old and are still very brightly colored. And they’re exposed to the sun everyday.

Gsouder
Participant
@gsouder

You tats are going to age just like you are. You can do lots of things to slow it down, high SPF sunblock, covering it etc… but they will fade over time. Instead of trying to hold on to something that has to change, try to embrace it. As you age and your body gets older, your tat is with you the whole way… that faded tattoo will be something that is with you for the rest of your life. It speaks volumes that you have a tat that’s old enough to be faded!

Just my .02.

TattooVirgin
Participant
@tattoovirgin

Thanks for the feedback. How much will it fade? I dont want my tats turning grey within say 10-15yrs. If it happens when im 60 then sure thats fine (im 29 now).

THat was also one of the big reasons why i opted for black tats over colour, because they dont fade as quick as colour. But now im feeling so discouraged knowing that itll fade no matter what.:(

The Mighty Ming
Participant
@the-mighty-ming

There is one way to keep them permanetly black, and that’s too tattoo over them over and over again lol

All my tattoos are black/grey and even the solid black bits have faded since I got them in september, there’s no getting around it unless you actually did redo them every 6 months or so but that’s just silly.

gnarly
Participant
@gnarly

When your tattoos fade, you can always get them touched up.

TattooVirgin
Participant
@tattoovirgin
The Mighty Ming;73643 wrote:
There is one way to keep them permanetly black, and that’s too tattoo over them over and over again lol

All my tattoos are black/grey and even the solid black bits have faded since I got them in september, there’s no getting around it unless you actually did redo them every 6 months or so but that’s just silly.

Well sitting through all the pain is enough once, not something id exactly want to go through all over again down the road.

So my tats will look grey within a year? Just great! 😡 I spent all this money i was excpecting tats to not fade that quickly and that noticably.:mad: Now I really feel like crap.

Outlaw
Participant
@outlaw

its not going to be a case of them going grey over night… they will fade slightly but should still be dominant.
when a tattoo is first done then the ink is inside the pores and inbetween each layer of skin, the top layers of skin are replaced continuously throughout your life, and this covers over the layer where the ink lays beneath… this gives a slightly faded look. If you use good strength sun block on your tattoos or keep them covered as best you can then it will prolong the lifespan of the tattoo.

i was talking to a chap who had a large sticky plaster on his hand… i asked what he has been upto and he replied… ” i had a tattoo done 50 yrs ago while i was drunk on a night out as a sailor” he hated the tattoo so much that he has kept it covered every day since it was done…. he told me that only his immediate family have seen it and that includes only a handful of people… he asked if i wanted to see it, i was feeling priveliged… he pealed back the sticky plaster and underneath it was this absolutely amazing swallow that looked like it had been done for a couple of days… it was absolutely beatiful, i couldnt believe my eyes at the condition of it, yes the outlines had spread a little but nothing too shabby and the colours were as bright as the day they were done 50 yrs ago.. in fact it was still that nice i would have been proud to do one as good as it

the moral of this post is… if you look after your tattoo then it will last a lot longer 😉

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.