CuzzinVon
Participant
@cuzzinvon

What careers allow tattoos to be worn openly?
I’m interested in being a computer programmer and tech.
I wanted to know if tattoos are ok with them or if anyone has had experiences with careers that allow tattoos.

jinny123
Participant
@jinny123

it depends on the employer. newer tech companies are more likely to allow tats than say IBM or EDS or similar larger older companies.

its really down to the individual person who you are going to work with. the 30 year old company owner with friends who have tattoo’s will probably not even take note of them

the 50 year old suit wearing pen pusher will judge you by them.

and then there is everyone in between.

thats not really a proper answer i guess but its the best i think i can give

grimorde
@

Have to agree with Jinny123 that it depends on the company you work for. However, speaking as a computer programmer with tattoos, I’ve never had a problem with the companies I’ve worked for. These have, admittedly all been small, but I think as long as you can cover them for client visits you’d be fine 🙂

board_riider
Participant
@board_riider

My cousin is a computer programmer with a few visible tattoos, and he doesn’t seem to have a problem keeping work.
And, an answer to the other part of the questions, which other careers will allow you to have tattoos, I’d have to say Hairstyling. A good majority of them out there, have tattoo(s), including myself so it’s pretty much the norm, I guess certain salons wouldn’t allow it, but I could personally never work for them based on that prinicipal alone.

CuzzinVon
Participant
@cuzzinvon

Well I plan on having some pretty big pieces done, I was just curious of the fact but I would never not get tattooed because of a job.

Gsouder
Participant
@gsouder

I agree with the above but I would add anything involving customer interaction would make visible tats harder to accept. So if your job would be a computer based job inside a company rather than going out to customers you might have better luck.

Rockysmom
Participant
@rockysmom

My boyfriend is a software engineer for Intel and he has a half sleeve. They seem pretty relaxed there. Then again he doesn’t interact with the public.

Gsouder
Participant
@gsouder

Hey- I sell Intel chips and boards in the valley! how funny, I’m probably 2 degrees of separation from him max.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.