someguy
Participant
@someguy

So ive been toying with the idea of getting a lighthouse themed tattoo. I’m basing it off of a lighthouse that’s near my hometown. something to represent my hometown and childhood without being too cliche. Any way im thinking of getting the tattoo of the lighthouse along with some water crashing on some water on the bottom and some birds flying around in the air. Already talked to my artist and he’s working on a sketch to place on my inner bicep.

I just wanted your opinions on the whole concept of the tattoo. Kinda want to know if you’d add anything or move it to a different spot on my body. Just give me some feedback and let me know what you think.

Gsouder
Participant
@gsouder

I think the idea has a lot of potential. IMHO, I think you need to be carful as this could easily turn into a cheesy post card type photo. You need another ingredient to make this pop. It could be a storm with wind and clouds or a sunset. It could be a ship in the distance…. something. I’m not looking at your artists ideas but from what you put up here you need something to act as a supporting role for the subject of your tat- the light house.

mwc9548
Participant
@mwc9548

I like the lighthouse idea. I think it would be cool to have the lighthouse with a water scene that pops out from and outline of the state your from. but i dunno, that’s just my two cents

ataraxia
Participant
@ataraxia

i really like your idea of relating to your childhood with a hometown icon. having said that, i don’t feel like the bicep would be the best area for a lighthouse-themed tattoo. if you want to accentuate the lighthouse itself, a larger area of your body, such as the chest or back, would be much better IMO. but it’s up to you.

orphansparrow
Participant
@orphansparrow

i like the concept! i’d be interested to see what style you choose for it. 🙂

someguy
Participant
@someguy

Thanks for the opinions, ill probably get it tomorrow so ill see if I can post some pics of the finished product. As far as the style goes the artist I’m going to is reall big in to what I believe is called “traditional” or “old school” tattooing. He describes it as bold lines with high contrast yet simple coloring. But I’m no expert on that kind of stuff so I could be mistaken. Anyway I’m pretty stoked I think the theme. Matches the style pretty well kinda like an old school sailor kind of thing ut I guess I just have to wait and see

NeverBSatisfied
Participant
@neverbsatisfied

The lighthouse tattoo could turn out very well. My girlfriends mom loves lighthouses and I instantly thought of her when viewing this thread. IMHO, this could be done really well.

someguy
Participant
@someguy

Well kind of a crappy pic but here it is, just done last night on the right inner bicep.
oops couldnt attach the photo, might throw it up when i figure out how to.

yodaddynukka
Participant
@yodaddynukka

l_2911f83f2c87491ab6738d9c1ebd360e.jpg

gnarly
Participant
@gnarly

I think it’s pretty awesome. The color behind the lighthouse is great.

yodaddynukka
Participant
@yodaddynukka
gnarly;72803 wrote:
I think it’s pretty awesome. The color behind the lighthouse is great.

to clarify, this isnt the OPs tattoo. i posted an example of a lighthouse tattoo and i didnt even realize that he got his done already. my apologies for the confusion.

gnarly
Participant
@gnarly

Ahh, I see. It’s a sweet tattoo, no matter who its’ on.

someguy
Participant
@someguy

So I did it, found the welcome e-mail for this site when cleaning out my e-mail and thought i’d hit you guys up with an update… if anyone even cares(which no one probably does haha)

Here’s the finished product:

First one’s from when I first got it, before it started to scab I think.

The second one I took just to post here haha

Edit: couldn’t figure out how to post a photo here without uploading it to a web site first haha. sorry

buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat
someguy;95407 wrote:
Edit: couldn’t figure out how to post a photo here without uploading it to a web site first haha. sorry

You can always upload it into your tattoo album here.

Hylland
Participant
@hylland

I think a stormy night lighthouse instead of a bright sunlit lighthouse would be cool. Something where you could see the beam and storm clouds and waves and ocean spray. Lots of motion.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.