Gsouder
Participant
@gsouder

I recently went to a tat show and saw two tattoo models at the H20cean booth. They were doing the model thing, bringing in all the guys to look at the product using their assets- brilliant marketing, btw.

I noticed that both of them had full color sleeves. The color was incredibly intense, really deep like it had just been done. They both told me it had been a year since they had the work done.

Here are my questions:

1)I have always resisted getting a color tat based on the color I have see on other people being washed out and not very vibrant. Can a good artist make that much of a difference in the quality and depth of the color?

2)Do these professional tattoo people do something different with their tats to make them pop more, ie special lotions, monthly touchups, healing formulas?

3)do any of you have a full color tat that’s more than a year old that has an amazing amount of pop to the color? pics please, if you can. And I know the temptation is to photoshop the shit out of them to prove that your tat is awesome but I’m looking for raw data so if you could not do that it would rock.

looney bin escapee
Participant
@looney-bin-escapee

Part of it is the ink taking to the skin of each individual. I have friends who are allergic to certain pigments.

A good artist knows how to keep the colors on you really well.

Certain colors fade faster than others.

Also, if you keep it exposed to the sun all the time, it’ll have more of a tendency to fade as with any tattoo.

I’ll take pictures of my colored tatt. Its over 2 years old and still vibrantly colored.

Outlaw
Participant
@outlaw

using a colour wheel to choose complimenting colours against each other makes a big difference, also the brand of inks helps…. most artists use different colours from different brands that they like to worlk with, personally i have been using 3 particular brands over the past 5 yrs but recently i have decided to go with just one brand.
another thing to take into considderation is that you might be comparing colour tattoos from what you have seen over the years…. inks have come a log way in the past few years and the pigments the manufacturers now use are much much better.

i dont know if you have noticed, but, most of these models with vibrant colour tattoo’s are normally very pale skinned, females are more prone to using sun block than males…. it is still recommended to use a strong sun barrier when out in the sunshine, and thats for b/g and colour tattoo’s

“and that goes to everyone”

😉

looney bin escapee
Participant
@looney-bin-escapee

To add to that ^^^^^

Yes, lots of those chicks have pale skin which makes the color pop.

Also, there are good lotions that DON’T stink that actually are spf 15 or higher. Keeping my skin soft with spf 15 lotion helps keep my tatts well cared for. I use the Aveda line of lotion. its a little expensive but for my tatts, shit yeah, I’m going to care for them.

Ross_W
Participant
@ross_w

I have about 125 hours of work on me, nearly all of it full colour. All of my tattoos are still pretty damn vibrant and look great. Keeping the colour looking vibrant isnt too hard. One of the most important things is using sunscreen. I dont use it everyday, but if im going to be out in the sun for an extended period of time (such as going to the beach) i will put it on. Otherwise i tend to avoid the sun. Of course, finding a good artist to apply the tattoo is also important.

And as requested.. pics. Although taken when they were completed, they all still look pretty much the same as the day the pics were taken. The sleeve is about a year and a half old, The back piece is three years old, and the leg piece is about 2 years old.

S6302572.jpg
S6302489.jpg

n632105453_364630_7663.jpg

n632105453_4965249_11.jpg
n632105453_4965251_511.jpg

looney bin escapee
Participant
@looney-bin-escapee

recurring message here.

sunscreen.

take care of your tatts.

Poesy
Participant
@poesy

Hey GSouder

I can’t comment on the colour part but in terms of vibrancy I can recommend a product?

Admittedly my tatt is only about 2 months old, but I use tattoo goo on it at least once every two days and it does genuinely get a little more intense. The product is used for old tattoos to revive colour, so i figured if I start using it now it’ll never fade.

I also use their lotion when I can, but that’s because the tattoo is on my lower heel and I need to keep the skin supple so the ink stays. I use factor 50 sun block on it. That’s not top expensive for me because I use less that a little finger nail’s worth for complete coverage. I know yours are a lot bigger.

But yes, tattoo goo, really recommend it. i wouldnt be surprised if they use something like it, my tattooist said it was the best thing for it and she had autumn leaf tattoos in gorgeous colour

I would put the website up but I dont want to look like im spamming. It’s easy to find though
Check out tattoo healix further down the page

Poesy

Chief D
Participant
@chief-d

1. Tattoo pigments are much better than they used to be. Next generation pigments such as Intenze, Fuzion, Eternal, and Skin Candy use both large and micropigment dispersal that will not break down and fade like the old school inks did.
2. How the artist chooses and applies the pigment determines the vibrancy of the tattoo. Touch-ups also aid in hypersaturation of colors and vibrancy. A skilled, and experienced tattooist is always worth the money.
3. Moisturize the hell out of your ink! Tattoo Goo is great because its portable and you are going to use it frequently. Any good moisturizer will keep your tattoo bright.
4. Sunscreen. Exposure to sunlight causes yolur skin to produce melanin (natural pigments that result in tanning). This causes the particulates in tattoos to diffuse over time. As they seperate and settle in the skin, fading occurs.

Ben1985
Participant
@ben1985

Once healed could excessve moisturising cause any damage to the pigments over time?

Poesy
Participant
@poesy

I think, though I could be wrong, it’s only really a problem whilst it’s healing, and therefore an open wound.

I’d be interested to hear if that’s wrong though…

Outlaw
Participant
@outlaw

once the skin has healed then using moisturiser will not cause any harm to your tattoo

ArniVidar
@arnividar
Outlaw;71577 wrote:
once the skin has healed then using moisturiser will not cause any harm to your tattoo

Okay, but will not using moisturise cause harm to my tattoo?

Chief D
Participant
@chief-d
Ben1985;71571 wrote:
Once healed could excessve moisturising cause any damage to the pigments over time?

Nope. Inks are deposited into a layer of tissue well below where moisturizers penetrate. They just keep surface layers soft and transluscent.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.