Doctor Abyss
Participant
@doctor-abyss

I’ve heard the term around, yet, what it is exactly is very vague, and I realized varies from person to person; shop to shop…

I was inquiring about an apprenticeship at a shop, and the owner was willing to assist me in my ventures, but he said it would be more advisable to start as a shop hand…
but is he just looking for free work?

SO

TL;DR

wtf is a “shop hand” exactly?

Doctor Abyss
Participant
@doctor-abyss

🙁 I guess no one knows, either…heh

Outlaw
Participant
@outlaw

i would say yes he just wants a dogs body to do all the donkey work, but it could lead to an apprenticeship so i would take whats offered if i was you 😉

Doctor Abyss
Participant
@doctor-abyss

ah, that’s too bad.
Do you know what the general responsibilities of a “shop hand” typically entails?

Gsouder
Participant
@gsouder
Doctor Abyss;70633 wrote:
ah, that’s too bad.
Do you know what the general responsibilities of a “shop hand” typically entails?

Don’t know for a fact but in my experience from another industry shop hand= shop bitch. You will do all the stuff no one else wants to do. Bathroom cleaning, trash taking out, phone answering, ETC. Its not a bad way into a niche industry if you can afford to be broke for a couple of years.

Doctor Abyss
Participant
@doctor-abyss
Gsouder;70637 wrote:
Don’t know for a fact but in my experience from another industry shop hand= shop bitch. You will do all the stuff no one else wants to do. Bathroom cleaning, trash taking out, phone answering, ETC. Its not a bad way into a niche industry if you can afford to be broke for a couple of years.

So it’s not typically paid?

Gsouder
Participant
@gsouder

of course you get paid, it’s not like slavery or an internship. I wouldn’t expect much more than the absolute minimum wage though.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.