ljfran2383
Participant
@ljfran2383

I am 4 sessions in on my leg sleeve, Last session, about 9 days ago, we finally started some color. However, where he put the red ink on, It has scabbed up thick. The other colors scabbing thin for a day or two, but that came off. All my black and grey work never scabbed, just peeled a bit.

What is going on here? Is my tattoo gonna turn out shitty there? or is that normal?

yodaddynukka
Participant
@yodaddynukka

scabbing is definitely not normal for “optimal” healing, but it is very common. you want to keep scabs as dry as possible so i would skip a few sessions of lotion to let the scab dry out and fall off on its own.

most likely your artist went too deep in that area or tried to pack in the colors.

i had 2 small areas where i scabbed and the scabbing took the ink out (my artist used lidocaine on that area and prolly packed the ink in there) so make sure you are extra careful.

ohyeahbaby
@

This happened to me. It turned out I’m allergic to the components of red ink. No matter how many times the scab has dried out, the allergy deep inside will again cause more scabbing on the surface of the skin.

I was so close to having mine removed because of this.

My dermatologist prescribed Dermovate ointment. I apply the ointment over to affected areas and cover it with Reynolds plastic wrap then I leave it overnight. I do this once every two nights only. Now, it is all better. SOme parts are still swollen and itchy but definitely improved.

ArniVidar
@arnividar

Red is by far the most common color to cause allergic reactions (which doesn’t much please me, seeing as one of my planned tattoos is VERY red). It doesn’t necessarily have to be bad though. I guess you’ll find out when it’s stopped healing in a month or two.

ljfran2383
Participant
@ljfran2383

I hope its just now healing so good because it was the 3rd color applied to the area. It would really suck to not be able to use red, seeing as how my sleeve is gonna have a decent amount of red in it.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.