tatvirgin
Participant
@tatvirgin

Hi I’m new to the forum, and I want to get my first tattoo sometime in the next year. I really want a foot tattoo, but I’ll be going into a professional work environment when I get out of school. I was wondering if anyone had any opinions about having visible tattoos in the workplace. Also, if i decide not to get it on my foot, i think my second choice would be on the lower left side of my back or right on my side. Also, any opinions about that would be good. I like word, flowers, and bird tattoos.

Ross_W
Participant
@ross_w

Foot tattoos arent usually considered visible tattoos, however i can see it being a problem if you were high heels or some other footwear that does not cover your whole foot. If you think it will be a problem, then simply get it somewhere else.

As for ideas, i think it would be best if you looked on some websites for things you like. What i think would be good and what you think would be good are probably too very different things. Only you know exactly what suits you.

tatvirgin
Participant
@tatvirgin

That’s true. haha. Thanks for the advice!

Rockysmom
Participant
@rockysmom

it took me over a year before i really knew what i wanted to get and where. i for sure thought i wanted flowers on my side and ended up getting them on my foot.

deviantart.com is a great place to see tattoos and get some ideas.

Poesy
Participant
@poesy

Hey

I have foot tattoo, a combination of picture/word. It’s very small, and only line work, along the inside of my right foot, just under the heel bone on each side. (that’s convoluted, but it’s unusual placement)

As a girl, it’s surprisingly visible. I literally thought it would only be visible when was barefoot of in flip flops, but when i wear pumps, it creeps over the edge and is very visible in heels due to the arch of your foot being increased. However, I like it, and it’s not glaringly obvious. When I wear tights it’s hardly visible.

I’m like you – I’m yet to get a job and will have to be careful. But I really don’t think they’re that big a problem – you’ll just have to be more selective with shoes. In addition, your feet will be under a desk most of the time – I think there would have to be VERY strict rules for that to be a problem.

However, if it’s emblazoned across the top of your foot it’s going to be more difficult, and if you use colour even more obvious. I’d consider the exact placement, and how much you like open shoes. I think it’s workable but needs thought.

Poesy

tatvirgin
Participant
@tatvirgin

That sounds about like what I think i want. I want a combo of picture and words, but because I’m not sure where to put it yet, I’m unsure about size. I have considered the same place you have yours, and all your info about it really helped. I’ve read about the pain of a foot tattoo causing people to jump and ruin their tattoo. What was your experience with that?

If I put it on the top of my foot, I would want to go close to the toes and to the outer side of the foot. Which I’m sure would be more visible. But like you said, it may or may not matter.

Thanks so much for your help!

Poesy
Participant
@poesy

Lol…umm, I actually found it relatively ok, but i did TWITCH a bit. Clearly it was catching some nerves or something, but when I mentioned it and pointed out my toes were spasming she gave me a sec, i flexed my toes and we carried on. As long as you communicate with the artist properly it shouldn’t be too bad – it was funny rather than stressful. Most pain was on the part where the arch of your foot starts climbing, and that produced the most spasms. The other part fitted in the little hollow under the bone but before the heel, and really just stung a little. I think I was very lucky as I’m a wimp.

I don’t have any flaws as such from the twinging, but not all the ink has taken. That’s a risk that the artist should mention to you, and I accepted it. I have a little star that’s a bit like a nautical one except unshaded (just 10 lines coming in) and not all the lines are healing perfectly; there’s a few little bits missing. It’s tough skin on your feet, and though both my pieces are above that hard sort of line, it’s common to need touch ups on foot tats apparently. In addition, it’s pretty hard during healing to always wear open shoes that don’t rub (flip flops were fine for me but might not be for your position) and keep them out of direct sunlight without using suncream on unhealed tatts. Just a few aftercare difficulties I’ve had. I’ve had to put a lot of time aside for washing and lotioning as it hasn’t healed fast

Bear in mind mine isn’t writing AND images as such. The one word ‘poesy’ is actually PART of the image, it forms the upper wing of a dove. So it really is subtle and tiny but still visible. Outside of the foot will make it more obvious on the top of the foot I imagine, because on the side by the toes will give you little canvas before you’re pretty much inking on the sole of the foot.

Still sounds a lovely idea to me though, and hope my ramblings help. What words are you thinking of?

Poesy

tatvirgin
Participant
@tatvirgin

They definitely do! Well, I think maybe the words “He lives in you.” I’m pretty spiritual and it holds a lot of meaning for me. Plus it’s a song from The Lion King musical, which was the first show I saw on Broadway, and I’m really into theatre. As for the picture, I’m pretty undecided. I’m open to not having a picture at all, and just doing words, but i feel like if I’m going to get a tattoo, I want it to be worth it. I love lily of the valley and plumeria flowers. I am beginning to think there just isn’t room on my foot for what I want. I have fairly small feet, and I don’t want it to overtake my whole foot.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.