jazzy1
@

I have wanted to become a tattoo artist for years. I recently decided to grow a pair and start out on a quest for apprentice. I’ve put together a portfolio and begun pavement pounding. The only issue is I was very recently diagnosed with Hepatitis C.
It seems to me that if you are following all the safety and health best practices that the risk should be minimum. That being said there is still a risk.
I’ve talked to artist who’ve said that they approach every artist and every client as if they are full blow toxic waste, poison regardless of their actual health. My question is if my dreams are dead before they’ve really begun or can I be an artist?

Sherav
Participant
@sherav

Hi

In broad terms no your dreams are not dead as many states/countries will allow you to tattoo even if you have Hep. However some will not register you.

That said you have a duty of care to customer that you do not endanger their health (and vice versa) – this would mean some really solid protective clothing on your part.

The other part you have to consider is that the customer does have the right to ask you if you are carrying any BBP’s and lying or refusing to answer could cause a heap of issues. Non-disclosure can be seen as intent of action (should the worst happen).

If you were to bleed on a customer (for whatever reason very low risk but I am looking at what if’s) you would also have to be prepared for possible legal action taken by the customer.

It is something you will have to talk over with your Dr and the state health authorities overall Hep C risk is quite high on blood to blood transmission and you are in environment with needles and swabs. But that said you would have to cut yourself and then transmit the blood to a swab container or needle – so again it is about the environmental risks.

Hope that helps.

Take care
Matthew

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.