Poesy
Participant
@poesy

Hey

Having been looking at a lot of white ink tattoos, I think they can be prettily subtle and used for really interesting tattoos.

I have been told, however, that lots of artists don’t like doing them? Is this true? If so…why?

Poesy

Dmac
Participant
@dmac

I have a tattoo with white ink (it starts at white and fades to black) and at first it pretty easy to tell that it was white ink, but over time the white has faded to almost match my skin tone.

I’ve never come across an artist that didn’t like doing a white ink tattoo (after all you are giving him/her business) but here is some info I found online about it. Hope it helps.

http://tattoos.lovetoknow.com/White_Ink_Tattoos

http://tattoosbodyart.suite101.com/article.cfm/white_ink_tattoos_trendy_but_risky

anjayenunciates
Participant
@anjayenunciates
Poesy;68714 wrote:
Hey

Having been looking at a lot of white ink tattoos, I think they can be prettily subtle and used for really interesting tattoos.

I have been told, however, that lots of artists don’t like doing them? Is this true? If so…why?

Poesy

I wouldn’t recommend getting a white ink tattoo. I have one on my wrist, and, after four years, the ink has changed from bleach white to a yellowy cream color, kind of like the fat you cut off of chicken breasts before cooking them (ew).

I should’ve listened to my artist though. He told me that the white ink will look gross after a while. He said that white ink only looks good in very small quantities (like highlights, etc.).

Rockysmom
Participant
@rockysmom

i see no point in getting a white tattoo.

Poesy
Participant
@poesy

Well Rockysmom, I personally think they can look subtly beautiful. Lots of people don’t see the point of any tattoo – it’s a matter of personal taste.

Thanks anjay and Dmac. Those are really helpful helpful responses…

What do you think about its uses in highlighting? My first tat includes a small, unshaded nautical star (ie just the 10 lines to the centre). Whilst the lines are beautifully drawn and there’s (currently, at least) no blurring, I’m wondering if a little white ink in the unshaded areas might make the whole thing a bit lighter? I don’t want it colour in as such, I like it uncoloured, but I thought it might emphasise the lines from my skin a little?

Thanks

Poesy

anjayenunciates
Participant
@anjayenunciates
Poesy;68921 wrote:
Well Rockysmom, I personally think they can look subtly beautiful. Lots of people don’t see the point of any tattoo – it’s a matter of personal taste.

Thanks anjay and Dmac. Those are really helpful helpful responses…

What do you think about its uses in highlighting? My first tat includes a small, unshaded nautical star (ie just the 10 lines to the centre). Whilst the lines are beautifully drawn and there’s (currently, at least) no blurring, I’m wondering if a little white ink in the unshaded areas might make the whole thing a bit lighter? I don’t want it colour in as such, I like it uncoloured, but I thought it might emphasise the lines from my skin a little?

Thanks

Poesy

As long as the white ink isn’t being tattooed over another color, then it should highlight. But, white ink over any other color will just bleed into the colored ink (remember, the ink in your tattoo isn’t dry, its just sandwiched liquid between layers of skin).

However, most white ink over time does discolor (ex: my wrist tattoo I mentioned earlier), and also fades very quickly. From what I’ve heard, white ink is the first to be purged from the body.

Could you post a picture of your tattoo so we can see exactly where you want the white ink added?

I’d talk with your artist and see what he/she thinks.

Ross_W
Participant
@ross_w

White tattoos just dont seem to be worth it IMO. Apart from the obvious issue of them fading and turning a different colour rather quickley, they never seem to catch my eye like full colour or even black and grey tattoos do. I think this is mostly cause it is usually one colour, a colour that tends to blend in with your skin without the contrast from more vivid colours around it. And in the end, it still costs the same as a normal tattoo, but the normal tattoo will most likely last much longer.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.