Poesy
Participant
@poesy

Hey – yesterday realised how important it is to look about – I had no idea studios could be that radically different in approach!

So exams finished, and I was finally free to make enquiries at tattoo studios. I thought I knew which one I wanted to go, but went to another one first to make sure. They were really rubbish. I explained what I wanted, showing them my designs and inspirations. I knew the text would have to be a bit bigger, but they simply pulled a folder off the shelf and were like ‘this is the biggest we do.’ The most discussion they would give me on the design without me paying ยฃ30 artist deposit was to print off the word in that size font – spelt wrong. Already disheartened, I told them where I wanted it – just above the heel on the inside of my ankle. I was flatly told they didnt do them there because the ink wouldnt stay.

I was really gutted and decided to try the other studio, thinking that if they said the same thing I’d have to give up on it – it’s been planned for a location and in a certain appearance and I wasnt getting it for the sake of it somewhere else on my body

The other studio was AMAZING – they didnt have a limit on text, he just explained why it needed to be a little larger than I had, as I had originally expected. He blew the design up to the size he thought would be best. I raised the worry about the location and we discussed how it could be done with careful placement, and he showed me examples of where ink came away from tough skin. Looking at another part of my design, a wonky star, he said the studio wouldnt be prepared to do it like that in case people thought it was a mistake and it reflected badly on the studio – which showed they cared about their reputation – and showed me how it could be made to work from other designs.

Such a huge difference. So relieved I checked, and I’m getting it done on sat! Eeep!

Poesy

gnarly
Participant
@gnarly

It’s great you looked around and took your time. I feel too many people make the mistake of going to the “right now” shop instead of the right shop. I’m happy to see you’re going about this the right way, and aren’t rushing into such a big decision.

The shop you chose sounds professional, and I hope your tattoo comes out just the way you want.
Post some pictures when it’s done. ๐Ÿ™‚

inkmeolaf
Participant
@inkmeolaf

i own a shop in maine and we succeed by listening to the customer. we strive on original work

Gsouder
Participant
@gsouder

… and this is why some businesses thrive and some fail. Why is service and sales something that so many shops completely miss the mark on?

inkmeolaf
Participant
@inkmeolaf

i agree 110%

Poesy
Participant
@poesy

Hey

I went and got it today ๐Ÿ˜€ It’s lovely, really thin lines. They were really nice, helped me relax and I am SO relieved I went there. Didn’t even hurt that much!!

Hey Gnarly…I would post pictures but I might wait a bit – I’m still in fuzzy enjoyment stage and people on here can be v critical. it’s probably not to most people here’s taste either (ie it only took 10 minutes and it black line work) so I might protect it for a few days!!!

Poesy

gnarly
Participant
@gnarly
Poesy;68609 wrote:
Hey

I went and got it today ๐Ÿ˜€ It’s lovely, really thin lines. They were really nice, helped me relax and I am SO relieved I went there. Didn’t even hurt that much!!

Hey Gnarly…I would post pictures but I might wait a bit – I’m still in fuzzy enjoyment stage and people on here can be v critical. it’s probably not to most people here’s taste either (ie it only took 10 minutes and it black line work) so I might protect it for a few days!!!

Poesy

I’m glad you’re happy with it. ๐Ÿ˜€

Yes, people here can be critical, but most do it out of their passion for the art. I understand completely that you don’t want to post it right away though. And while most people here seem to prefer larger, more detailed tattoos (myself included), they can appreciate a nice simple tattoo, if it’s done well, so you might not get any criticism at all.

But congratulations on your first tattoo.

KMFH
Participant
@kmfh

Congrats on taking your time, and going about it the right way! It’s such a great feeling after it’s done, and you can’t help but look at your art and smile.

AhshKoshBGosh
Participant
@ahshkoshbgosh

Thats awesome Poesy!! Im so happy you love what you got. Good job on finding the right place! Well when ya do get pics up please let us know because I would love to see it.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.