OregonBeta1636
Participant
@oregonbeta1636

I was wondering if anyone could help me out with 2 things.

1) I want to translate the following phrase into latin

“To emerge mighty upon pain.”

After putting it into several of those online translators, and then back translating word for word, the final translation ends up being this.

“Existo Validus Quo Dolor.”

Can people out there confirm the correct translation of this or offer a better one? I plan to check this with many people in order to insure the correct translation.

2) This question is much simpler. Do people recommend the shoulder blade, or the back (left or right trap)? Keep in mind this is my first tattoo.

Thanks again for the help!

gnarly
Participant
@gnarly

Online translators are probably the worst thing to use. Seriously. Translation is more about swapping words from one language to words from another language.

Also, just curious, why are you interested in having a tattoo of a language you don’t understand enough to translate a simple phrase yourself?

If you are getting just the text, and it will be on the smaller side, perhaps you should save your back or shoulder for a larger piece. But, if yo were to chose between the two, I would go for the shoulder blade.

I am fairly certain the words in the phrase you’ve translated are not in the correct order, though I haven’t studied Latin in a few years and don’t have any textbooks handy.

However, I am curious about this issue, for my own personal interest, so I will look up my Latin Grammar books (if I can find them in my messy attic), and let you know.

OregonBeta1636
Participant
@oregonbeta1636

Thanks, I appreciate it. The last thing I wanted to do was go in and get a tattoo using only an online translator. Gotta check these things multiple times with multiple people in order to insure it’s accuracy. As far as the foreign text, there are other ways I could have gone. I can speak English and a fair amount of Spanish, but the phrase transfered into those languages does not have the same appeal to me. Although Latin isn’t the first language by any means, its roots are in most of the commonly used European languages around today, which I think gives it added appeal. Theres also something appealing about the sound of the language. I’m by no means a fan of classical music, but the sound of the language itself in song and when read is very nice. And although I don’t just want a tattoo cause “it looks cool,” to be completely honest this phrase does look better to me in Latin than other languages. Finally, if someone is actually interested in my tattoo, I want them to have to ask me about it person to person.

Anyway, those are the reasons for choosing that language. There are 3 letter/sounds that if they were in the words I was using (and they might end up being after it gets re-translated), I would have those letters translated into the Greek alphabet versions.

Thanks again for the help.

OregonBeta1636
Participant
@oregonbeta1636

I went ahead and had a professional translator translate the message, and as expected, he said my original passage did not make sense. He came out with these 2 translations.

A dolore praepotens evadere

and

Post dolorem validus evadere

do these seem more accurate?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.