dmc1980
Participant
@dmc1980

First up, great site, very informative for an ink virgin like myself.

Ive been toying with the idea of a tattoo for a couple of years and am finally in a position were i really want it and can afford it etc.

Over this time ive been thinking about what I want and been looking at loads of tats. I had decided on the sort of thing I wanted when a painting by an artist twisted my train of thought. His art is fantastic and really captures the type of thing I want for my tattoo.

Anyway, what im wondering is, what are the copyright issues of me having one of his paintings reproduced as a tattoo?

Thanks

Darren

Cornishtiger
Participant
@cornishtiger

Fill your boots!

You wont be the first person this week to have done it and no one has ever been persued for it.

One of the seaside towns was in the news last year for trying to sell the right to use the town logo as a tattoo but they pretty much got told to f off and they did.

xxTOPDOGxx
Participant
@xxtopdogxx

You could make a reasonable effort to contact the artist and ask permission, but I don’t think it is required. If anything maybe you could have your tattooist base his own design on the art of this other person.
Nuff Said!

Sherav
Participant
@sherav

Hi

In law the copy of any image by electronic or mechanical means can mean an infringement of copyright or theft of intellectual property.

In reality there has not been a successful forced removal or criminal prosecution against a person who has used art that is copyrighted as a tattoo (ie the wearer of the image).

The only cases brought were where an artist had taken the image exactly and then was selling the image commercially as flash without permission.

The people who had the ink done were not challenged but the artists who were using the images without permission on a mass scale were. It managed to piss off the corporate owner of the image. Not so much for the tattoo aspect but the selling of image without royalties or permission. Even this was a rare case.

Many artists I have met have stated they are (or would be) flattered if an individual took their work for a one off piece and wanted to wear it on their body for life.

It is always polite to ask if able.

That said if you can prove that the image used is merely an inspiration but does not share the body of the orig works it then comes under the murky deriviative vs new art argument which is why ppl simply have never bothered to pursue it based on one offs.

So really shouldn’t have a prob with getting it done.

Take Care
Matthew

Butterfly
Participant
@butterfly-2

hi , to be honest i would not worry about it .

people only claim breech of copyright when someone has taken your work to make a profit from it.
if anyone used one of my images as inspiration i would be quite stoked that someone thought enough of my work to get it done ๐Ÿ˜€

however as an artist wether , painter or photographer its always nice to be credited for the inspiration ๐Ÿ˜‰

dmc1980
Participant
@dmc1980

Thanks for the replies. I know who the artist is and have sent him an email explaining what I want to do with his art. I await the reply, I will be a bit gutted if he says no! although he is into tattoos as well so Im hoping he likes the idea.

Thanks again for the help

Gsouder
Participant
@gsouder

The analogy here is this:

If you burn your Britney Spears CD for a friend, no one is going to come after you. If you burn 100,000 CD’s and sell them at 10 bucks a pop, then you are going down.

Good luck, keep us posted

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.