irishman301
Participant
@irishman301

It’s not a huge deal, but I’m not 100% satisfied with it. I got the ‘circle of fifths’ tattooed on my forearm last Friday. It is still healing, and has a few scabs. I took a picture of the only area that doesn’t look perfect. Look at the ‘G#m’ and the ‘C#m’. It’s kinda just a little blurry blob instead of a ‘#’ sign.

I’m wondering if it can be fixed with some skin colored ink or something?

Here’s a picture of the area I’m talking about:

messedupletters.jpg

ArniVidar
@arnividar

There’s no such thing as “skin colored ink”, since your skin changes color several times a year, and ink fades as well.

That really looks bad, but you should let it finish healing before you decide it needs fixing. It’s still maybe a month away from fading into the correct color, and it may look better when the black is not quite so dark.

Butterfly
Participant
@butterfly-2

let it heal before you start to panic about needing it fixed

irishman301
Participant
@irishman301

Nah I’m not panicing. I was planning on waiting until the ink was fully set in before I did anything. I was just wondering if it was possible at all to fix the blob of blackness into looking like a # sign. By skin colored ink i meant just a small dab of tanish color or something right in the middle.

Jubakuba
Participant
@jubakuba

This is why people get professional work.

irishman301
Participant
@irishman301

Was that really necessary?

Apostle 228
Participant
@apostle-228
Jubakuba;67778 wrote:
This is why people get professional work.

i second that

Cornishtiger
Participant
@cornishtiger
irishman301;67789 wrote:
Was that really necessary?

To be fair you put the tat out here for comments and one person said what most people thought.
The tattoo is kinda ugly and sure doesnt look like a pro job to me.
If you get anything out of posting on the forum it might be that you realise these things are very perminant and a minute or two picking an artist, a month or two waiting for them to be available as well as spending a few pounds more (which you can save while you wait) is always a good plan.

Please take anything I say in the spirit it is intended and do not take offence I call em as I see em and try always to be constructive.

irishman301
Participant
@irishman301

http://www.thetattooforum.com/circle-fifths-tattoo-forearm-t15645.html

I see what you’re saying. Honestly though he is a good artist. He did my last 2 tattoos before this one and I was very happy with both of them. The link above is the whole thing and aside from the two # signs everything is perfect. This is actually my favorite tattoo so far despite the small lettering mistake. This one has the most meaning to me and his creative spin on what is usually a pretty boring looking circle is awesome IMO.

So that said I still was really just wondering if those little # signs could be fixed. Since there needs to be space in the middle of the sign which has ink there, I was just wondering if a blob of ink directly in the middle would fix that up?

Beardo
Participant
@beardo

Yeah, theres a reason most pro shops/artists won’t do small text….in a few years, those little letters & symbols are going to blend together and be black blobs anyway.

irishman301
Participant
@irishman301
Beardo;67999 wrote:
Yeah, theres a reason most pro shops/artists won’t do small text….in a few years, those little letters & symbols are going to blend together and be black blobs anyway.

I didn’t know that…but I think the letters are large enough that it should last many years without blending as you say. Worst case would be that the ‘#’ symbols all start to look like blobs….but overall I’m extremely happy with how this turned out. As it heals more, the ‘G#m’ and the ‘C#m’ are becoming more clear.

I’m still wondering if the ‘#’ symbols can be fixed though if they are still not right when the tattoo is finished healing. That was really the main point of this post. Does anybody know?

Cornishtiger
Participant
@cornishtiger

Yes they could be fixed you may need them a little larger next tiem to ensure you dont get the same problem.

Hit the things with a laser a couple of times wait 3 months and tattoo new # symbles on. Easy.

Happy camper now?

S.Neill
Participant
@s-neill

I have been out of circulation for a LONG time, family issues, business issues, personal issues, ect. So you probably don’t know me. I’ll work on being polite, which doesn’t always work for me, so if anything I say comes out rude, just ignore the rudeness and focus on what I’m saying.

First, I agree with what everyone else has said. This is why people get pros to do their work and not kitchen magicians. Second, I agree with what has been said, that you put the work out there for comments, so don’t get uptight at the comment.

Now with that said, a pro artist would have tried to talk you into getting the script larger so this wouldn’t happen. The fact that you did not go to a pro…whether you like the piece or not, has brought you to this point…asking pros how to fix it. I looked at the piece on your link and honestly, its not too bad, but that doesn’t excuse the poor design. Its the artist’s job to build a piece…or modify one that someone brings to them to make it tattooable, and then to do a good job in doingt it. Your artist did neither. He did not insure the piece was tattooable. He left it with script so small that in ten years you won’t be able to discern any of those number signs, they will all just be black blobs. He did not do a good job because he left them so small that they won’t hold up.

Whether the fault is yours or his is immaterial. You now have a tattoo that needs to be fixed. Here is a solution that may or may not work. Have an artist (Using a quality brand of white and not some bullshit ink) separate the black with white. You’ll have to do the same thing with every single sign whether they need it or not. It will separate the number sign so you will be able to see what it is. Here is the problem: White is the first color your body disperses. Which means it sometimes does not hold up over time. The better the quality of ink, the longer it will last. Some people don’t disperse white…in other words in some people white lasts forever. I don’t know why, but I recently had a customer come into my studio to have a tattoo recolored. The tattoo was 20 years old had lost most every color except white. this isn’t the first time I’ve seen that occur. But the norm is that white generally doesn’t last.

A “flesh” toned ink won’t work. Black will over ride it.

Obviously though you have little regard for professional artists, so my advice may be worthless to you. I’m sure your kitchen magicial can figure something out.

Here’s my second bit of advice. Quit going to kitchen magicians to get your work done and pay for a good artist to do them from now on. We gave sweat and blood to learn and earn our art and you and so many others would rather pay some scratcher…who takes offense at being called a scratcher since “that only refers to dirty artists”…a quarter of our rates to get second rate work, then expect us to tell you how to go back to your scratcher to get his junk fixed.

irishman301
Participant
@irishman301
Cornishtiger;68028 wrote:
Yes they could be fixed you may need them a little larger next tiem to ensure you dont get the same problem.

Hit the things with a laser a couple of times wait 3 months and tattoo new # symbles on. Easy.

Happy camper now?

Why must people be dickheads?

Read my posting history….am I in any way a dickhead like that to others? No, I’m not. Living life as a non-dickhead is actually quite rewarding!

So why be a dick to me, huh?

I get a tattoo that I love, and I ask a simple question directed at tattoo artists of whether it is possible to fix the minor mistake in the ‘#’ sign via some sort of light-colored ink in the middle, and people feel the need to give me shit as if I did something terribly stupid and wrong.

No shit I could just go back to the guy in a month and ask him if it’s possible. But he happens to be about 45 minutes away from where I live, and I figured ‘hey why not ask this simple question on this cool tattoo forum in the meantime while I’m waiting’.

Don’t be a dick.

S.Neill
Participant
@s-neill

Irishman, tattoo artists are often seen as “dicks” like you say because we sweat blood and tears, made terrible sacrifices, and have invested our lives and soul into the tattooing industry and those of us like me struggle to keep our tattoo studios open in a failing economy working 16 hour days with no paycheck at all just to keep the shop open while a ton of scratchers are buying kits of ebay and doiing pieces like yours for 20 bucks. Now people come in here knowing they can get a $20 tattoo from joe dick down the road so they argue with me about prices. You are one of those people who would rather get bad work than pay for good work and you help to hurt businesses like mine. Tattoo enthusiasts are being a dick to you because they worked overtime for weeks to afford the best work from the best artist and you go to some scratcher that undercuts people like me and pay a tenth of what they pay for their work, then come to a forum like this defending your art choice while in the same breath asking for advice on how to fix it.

Hmmm, seems simple enough to figure out to me. I don’t like being a dick. I don’t care much for people working to put me out of business either, especially when their customers come to me to me to fix their screw up and then I have to argue about the price cause they only payed $20 bucks for the tattoo to begin with

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.