kenshin911
@

Hi, i do not have a tattoo. but I’ve been planning my body suit(except my sleeves so i can work) for a year now. So i was thinking of what is going on my calf and a question popped out in my head.
“What if i am allergic to tattoo ink?”

1) is there a way to check if i am allergic? my friend told me to get a small tattoo first, but i read online that some allergy reactions can take a few years to appear? so i guess this doesn’t really help i don’t want my entire body to itch after completing my body suit.

2) i might have sensitive skin, for example when a friend slaps my hand for fun, after 5mins the flesh of where i get slapped gets raised like a mosquito bite which can last from 30min-2hrs before it disappears. it also happens when i pop a pimple or scratch myself hard.
i am getting a full back tattoo which has tons of outlines. will the tattoo artist be able to complete the tattoo if my flesh is raised?

3)what happens if i get a tattoo and i am allergic? be it slight allergy or severe allergy?

sorry for the long post 😀
but i just want to be safe, read some online article about a guy having to go through skin graft.. and i am worried. thanks for reading, would appreciate some help.

Demure
Participant
@demure

Well first off, welcome to the forum. You came to the right place. We have a lot of very well informed members here.

Before you reply to anything anyone has to say, go to Search at the top of the forum and type in “allergy” then read all the threads that pop up from the forum. This will help to give you a more educated response.

1. Long term wise, there’s really no way to know. Short term wise, go to a tattoo parlor of your choice and talk to an artist one on one. I think what some people do is get a small dot done with several different types of ink. Then they observe.

2. I have the same problem when someone slaps or touches me. I can’t hold my tarantula because of the tiny hairs, it rashes me out. I break out into hives if I’m nervous. I have my side done and my skin did raise. But I haven’t had any problems with my tattoo. I also have shingles which have appeared on my tattoo in places. Still, it has no effect on my tattoo and has nothing to do with it.

3. Your skin will reject the ink. Your artist will know if you’re having an allergic reaction to it while he/she is inking you. Be sure to make your artist aware of your skin sensitivity. But.. you shouldn’t have any problems.

I’m sure you’ll get more useful answers later. Hope this helps.

Sherav
Participant
@sherav

Hi

You need to have some tests done with a dermatologist who can take skin samples and see what you are sensitive to.

The primary test is whether you are allergic to carbon which is one the main ingredients in black pigment and several pigments such as red, green, and yellow have low level toxins which can irritate the healing process for those who suffer with sensitive skin.

Allergies tend to show up right away and it is no fun because once it is in the skin not a lot can be done about it.

Also how well do you heal with cuts and scratches? A tattoo is an open wound so need to be aware that how you heal is an important factor with getting inked.

If you have serious concerns then don’t risk it – health can mean more than the ink. A fully body suit is going to be a lot of hours – my back is well past 30 hours alone.

Take Care
Matthew

Triliaeris
Participant
@triliaeris
kenshin911;65915 wrote:
Hi, i do not have a tattoo. but I’ve been planning my body suit(except my sleeves so i can work) for a year now. So i was thinking of what is going on my calf and a question popped out in my head.
“What if i am allergic to tattoo ink?”

You should really take the advice of others and google tattoo allergy. I was really concerned before I got mine as well as I’m allergic to TONS of things. I chose black and white because the possible allergy reaction was less, but there are also many types of inks available with different compounds out there. Once you google it, you can see the images of what could happen and what the chances are, then go in and actually talk to a tattoo artist. They can give you more information and give you specifics about the type of inks they use.

Ultimately, when I did the research I realized that I wouldn’t lose my limb or my life due to an allergy reaction. If I had one, I’d lose the ink almost completely, or the worse case scenario was that area would become slightly disfigured due to scarring. Now I know it may sound insane to some….but after all the reading I realized the risks were pretty low and I’d be willing to risk a six inch area of my body to finally get the tattoo I’ve always wanted.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.