fernbrook
@

I figured this was the best place to ask this. If it needs to be moved, I apologize.

I went into a store today to get a basic price on my second tattoo, and brought in the picture I was looking for. It’s a picture of my grandmother laying in a chair, and it’s very old, so it’s not possible to get another one.

The picture is 5″x3.5″, in black and white. I realize that it’s very small, but from what I’ve seen I don’t know how hard it would be to draw it out bigger. The artist I saw today told me it was impossible, as it would be too pixelated and the face would have to be as big as my palm in order to get this to look good. For the record, I don’t plan on getting my tattoo done there, (They did my first one, and did a terrible job at it .. it was just writing!) but it was close and I wanted to just have an estimate.

Basically, I just want to know if it is truly impossible for this picture to be drawn bigger, or something like that. I understand I’d possibly be losing quality, but this is a really important picture to me, and I’d really like to have it done.

For reference, I’ve taken a picture of it (sorry, no scanner) and here it is:
CIMG3145.jpg

Apostle 228
Participant
@apostle-228

i would take it down to somewhere that does photo stuff, like kinkos maybe, or a graphic design place perhaps, and see if they can blow it up and photoshop it a bit to make it look as good as the original, if not better. if you get that scanned into a computer and find someone who is good with photoshop, they could easily make it bigger.

fernbrook
@

Hm, I live in Canada, I have no idea what Kinkos is, haha. I didn’t know places would do that kind of stuff, you think it would be possible to get it blown up and made to look nicely? I wasn’t sure if that was something they could do.

Chief D
Participant
@chief-d

Take the photo to a shop that does quality portraits and pin-ups. Better yet, find an Artist that can draw. The image is not too small for a decent Artist to be able to take the image and scale it up by hand. The only critical area is really the face, and the photo you have is large enough to show detail. Look to pay a little more to have photo turned into a line drawing for the stencil, but it wil really pay off in the finished tattoo.

fernbrook
@
Chief D;64960 wrote:
Take the photo to a shop that does quality portraits and pin-ups. Better yet, find an Artist that can draw. The image is not too small for a decent Artist to be able to take the image and scale it up by hand. The only critical area is really the face, and the photo you have is large enough to show detail. Look to pay a little more to have photo turned into a line drawing for the stencil, but it wil really pay off in the finished tattoo.

Thank you very much. 🙂 I’m glad to know it’s not impossible, I knew it wasn’t. The tattoo artist I saw is a huge douche and so many people in my town have had bad experiences with him. I will definitely do more research and see if anyone can help me draw it up.

Sherav
Participant
@sherav

Hi

It is more than possible to have that piece turned into a portrait piece. Basically the artist you saw just wanted to trace the photo and prob slap it on.

Because of the sizing as recommended take it to a pro-graphics shop and they will enlarge and digitally restore the photo for you.

I did this with a photo of my great grandfather it was taken at turn of the century and cost me about £100 to get a large A5 size done and they did not lose any detail as they cleaned up the pixellation.

The plus side is you have a decent pic of your gran even if you don’t get a tattoo done.

As for size bigger is better I would suggest at least a full bicep if you have big arms or a chest panel/rib piece/thigh for something like that.

Many pro-artists love doing portraits and will fill in the details of the face by free-hand.

Take Care
Matthew

Ben1985
Participant
@ben1985

Far from impossible IMO. My portrait of my bro is about 2.5″ X 3.5″ and the actual size of his face in the original pic was smaller than 1″ X 1″. A decent artist will be able to draw that up bigger.

ElevenEleven
Participant
@eleveneleven

I live in Canada too and there are definitely Kinkos here. :confused:

fernbrook
@
Sherav;65010 wrote:
Hi

It is more than possible to have that piece turned into a portrait piece. Basically the artist you saw just wanted to trace the photo and prob slap it on.

Because of the sizing as recommended take it to a pro-graphics shop and they will enlarge and digitally restore the photo for you.

I did this with a photo of my great grandfather it was taken at turn of the century and cost me about £100 to get a large A5 size done and they did not lose any detail as they cleaned up the pixellation.

The plus side is you have a decent pic of your gran even if you don’t get a tattoo done.

As for size bigger is better I would suggest at least a full bicep if you have big arms or a chest panel/rib piece/thigh for something like that.

Many pro-artists love doing portraits and will fill in the details of the face by free-hand.

Take Care
Matthew

I was planning on getting it on my shoulder blade, so there is a lot of room there. I will shop around and see what places can blow it up big enough. 🙂 Thanks!

Ben1985;65029 wrote:
Far from impossible IMO. My portrait of my bro is about 2.5″ X 3.5″ and the actual size of his face in the original pic was smaller than 1″ X 1″. A decent artist will be able to draw that up bigger.

Wow that really gives me hope, thanks 🙂

ElevenEleven;65032 wrote:
I live in Canada too and there are definitely Kinkos here. :confused:

Ah, I guess I assumed it was an American thing because I’ve never heard of it, and I live in Ontario. If something isn’t here that’s American, it’s usually not anywhere else in Canada. Going to Kinkos.com brings me to Fedex.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.