Greyhound
Participant
    @greyhound

Common and overdone, or classic and with great meaning?

Jubakuba
Participant
    @jubakuba

Classic.

They truly translate to such gorgeous tattoos…
But I do agree…they are a bit overdone.
The cool part about Koi tattoos is they stand out individually though.

Hey…if it isn’t tribal…
😀

[Witty Phrase]
NeverBSatisfied
Participant
    @neverbsatisfied

Vastly overdone to nausea for me. Love the tattoo’s. Beautiful piece of work that brings out strong points of the tattooist and I respect all koi fish work and everyone who has ever posted here have really nice ones but fact of the matter is I can’t tell a difference and automatically X out when I see a koi fish. Seen millions of them.

vizzielover
Participant
    @vizzielover

Personally I like them. I don’t think they are ‘overdone’ at all and have seen some beautiful ones. Definitely a classic for me!

Slappy13
Participant
    @slappy13

More than a few people have Koi tattoos and even though I liek to stay away from stuff overdone due to a memory of Koi from my childhood they do have a meaning to me so one day I will have some Koi inked. Overdone maybe but then again not many subjects in tattooing are 100% original these days. It’s all up to what the individual wants imo.

Apriltg
Participant
    @apriltg

To me the typical orange and yellow kois are overdone. Although I still appreciate the excellent work that goes into them and admire them for that reason. On the other hand, kois that incorporate other colors I really like. I saw a black and red one that I just fell in love with. Now I’m debating getting a black and pink koi done in that cutsey black goth style, perhaps circling a sugar skull done in the same style. The only thing holding me back is that cutsey black and pink goth style really isn’t my look. :rolleyes:

Apostle 228
Participant
    @apostle-228

It depends on how the koi are done, and if its just a fish, or part of something like a sleve, and depends on the colors/patterns on the fish. they really can either be just cliche, or they can look very original.

inkmenow
Participant
    @inkmenow

Since koi fish tattoos represent perseverance and strength of one’s character, I think the black and blue color combo is my favorite. The bright colors can be overdone and not as unique.

A picture is worth a thousand words…a tattoo is priceless!
Tattoos Designs
Gym
Participant
    @gym

Love them. Never get tired of doing them/ finding new ways to do them. My only complaint would be when a customer asks for a replica of something they’ve seen in a magazine. It tends to happen an awful lot with koi.

Why not just find the original person and steal their car too while you’re at it.

If I have to tattoo just one more Southern cross this week I WILL kill everyone.
redhead
Participant
    @redhead
Greyhound;63412 wrote:
Common and overdone, or classic and with great meaning?

great meaning of course, years ago i read an article that was talking about Koi and the meaning in life for some Chinese people,so there are always a private and special meaning for some people to have a Koi tattoo on their body…

Sincerely,
Redhead
http://thefoottattoo.blogspot.com