tgrssn
Participant
@tgrssn

I have a question about what’s possible when you “cover up” a tattoo. I’ve got a brand new one. I know!! I don’t want to cover up a brand new tattoo obviously. But basically there are bird silhouettes involved. One of them is larger and on my left pec. It’s still a pretty small tat and it’s all black. What I’d like to do is make the bird larger. I’d like to have him draw a new, all black silhouette of a larger bird (a pigeon specifically), and just draw it over my current silhouette. I don’t see how that would be a problem since it’s just black ink covering black ink. What do you think?

inkmerchant
Participant
@inkmerchant

This kind of a cover-up can really be done by any artist. Solid black is very easy to add/extend from and it should be pretty much a no brainer if you were not overly scarred from the existing work. Just remember if the tattoo is raised currently when you hit it up again to enlarge the artwork it will show through. Hope that helped.

tgrssn
Participant
@tgrssn

That’s what I figured. I wanted to ask first here before I asked this dude to do it. Like you said, I basically just want to extend it. The tattooed area isn’t raised that I can tell but there is still a good sized scab because it’s new. I imagined that the texture of the original might show through slightly but I doubt it will be noticable.

The dude who did this tat is expensive and he’s impossible to get a hold of. Maybe after this one is completely finished and healed I’ll just take my idea to another shop locally.

Sherav
Participant
@sherav

Hi

You are best waiting at least 6 weeks (pref 8) before getting a cover-up done. This will make sure that the skin below the surface has fully healed and will make the process a smoother experience.

Black over black should be quite straight forward and a reputable artist would be able to handle it with no issues.

Be interested in seeing your ink as it is though.

Take Care
Matthew

tgrssn
Participant
@tgrssn

It’s cool the way it is. The more elaborate portion of it is amazing, imo. I just wanted a larger bird on my pec, is all.

Update – I texted him the idea and he seems to think it wouldn’t work. Hrm. Oh well…

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.