fryc86
Participant
@fryc86

I’m sure this has been discussed to death, but I’m going in on Friday to start my first piece and wanted to be sure before I went. I’m getting a half-sleeve started and will probably do the outline the first sitting. I don’t know what it will come out to cost when its all said and done, but thought I’d ask if 15-20% was an acceptable tip and if its normally given at each sitting (% of what it cost that day) or how it goes. thanks

-DMD-
Participant
@dmd

I’m pretty sure you just pay the artist for whatever hes done for the current sitting.

fryc86
Participant
@fryc86

Thanks. Yes I’m going to be paying for each session, I was just wondering about tips. I plan on tipping 15-20% of whatever each sitting is. If this is wrong, please let me know. thanks

Rockysmom
Participant
@rockysmom

I would tip at the end when the tattoo is done but each time seems excessive… but that’s just me.

fryc86
Participant
@fryc86

well I don’t think it would come out much different if I did it once, or each sitting. A 20% tip of 1000 is 200. If I do two sittings at 500 each and tip 100 each time, its still the same in the end, but the artist gets part of the tip sooner.

amishman863
Participant
@amishman863

Im currently getting a piece on my arm. Apprx 4hrs. This is my 3rd tattoo by my artist. He does a great job and he really knows his stuff. My tattoo is running me $400, so I tipped him $80. Plus he said he was going to touch up my other one. 20% is certainly reasonable in my mind for a really good tattoo. Especially since Iam a server so I know how much it means when you do get tipped. I appreciate your work that you are doing for me so I show that by tipping. My artist appreciates it as well :). Cant afford to tip, dont get a tattoo. That simple. Even if it is not 20%.

Outlaw
Participant
@outlaw

a tip is not expected but its nice when we get them 😉

fryc86
Participant
@fryc86

thanks for the help. I certainly plan on tipping, that wasn’t in question as I know how important the work is. I was just wondering, since the piece will be more than one sitting, if it was customary to tip (relative to the amount done that day) each sitting or only after the whole thing was finished.

thanks again

NeverBSatisfied
Participant
@neverbsatisfied

I’ve had issues with this before also. I just wait until the final sitting. My Superman tattoo will be finished the next couple weeks, but I didn’t tip my tattooist since the whole sha-bang isn’t done. I’ll probably tip her an extra 50 dollars when ALL said and done, which would be tacked on to the already amount of my initial cost.

fryc86
Participant
@fryc86

2010-03-13-012350.jpg

Outlaw
Participant
@outlaw

looks nice fry 😉
im loving the super shading on it, although a little bit of shading behind might have made it pop a little… but then we dont know what you have planned for future work ?

ps… did ya give the artist a tip ??

fryc86
Participant
@fryc86

hmm yeah I didn’t think about shading behind it… It’s going to be a half sleeve, but just did the centerpiece right now. Being a sleeve I didn’t want this piece to lose focus with all of the other stuff around it, maybe some shading behind this piece would pop it out a little from the rest of the background? I don’t know.

and yeah I did tip for the work done, she was happy with it, so its all good.

fryc86
Participant
@fryc86

think I might be messing it up already… I know I can get touch-ups but this doesn’t seem normal. I was told just to wash it with antibacterial soap (no washcloth, just fingers) and let air dry or pat with paper towel.

They didn’t recommend a&d ointment.

Then I could put on a little bit of lotion (cetaphil) a couple times a day to keep it from overdrying. I don’t know if I started putting lotion on too soon or what, but now its breaking out in random places where it wasn’t before. I knew my skin wasn’t that good to start with, but wasn’t expecting this. I seemed to be doing okay with just soap and clean water, but this was right directly after the 3rd time of applying the cetaphil. Compare to first pic that I posted:

messedup.jpg

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.