Kr1s44
Participant
@kr1s44

Hi, my names Chris and as yet i have no tattoos:( but am getting some text on my forearm in a few weeks. I have a question for all you guys who have experience of getting ink, I see alot of people with full sleeve tattoos and wonder how they got them designed etc. Being a newbie i don’t really know how the whole process works, but for the last year or so i have wanted to get a half sleeve tat, i have loads of ideas a few pics of others tattoos that i like but i am not artistic in the slightest and can’t draw so i have no idea how to get those ideas put together into a tat. I really like the work of Mr Cartoon not because he has tattooed famous people etc but i really like his work and would want it done in that style . So yeah really what i’m trying to say is how do go about getting a custom half sleeve designed and drawn up.

Kind regards,
Kris.

Jubakuba
Participant
@jubakuba

Once you have your main pieces set up…
Basically, you just walk into your artist’s shop and ask him/her to fill ‘er up.

The two of you can talk about colors/designs and what-not…
But the general concept is to create “filler” to morph your pieces into one tattoo.

That being said:
Some pieces won’t look very good next to others and would be hard to fill in the blank space.

Sherav
Participant
@sherav

Hi

As said you take the pictures of what you like and the artist will discuss how he can turn it into a flowing piece as a part/half/full sleeve.

That said text only tattoos can be a bit more tricky to incorporate into a sleeve unless you know how you want to make it part of a tattoo.

For example if you had biblical text you could go for a religious theme but if just had a name or date of birth etc you may need to think a bit harder about how to use that.

Take Care
Matthew

Kr1s44
Participant
@kr1s44

sorry i should have been more clear. The text is going to be completely seperate on my forearm not part of the bigger one i want on my upper arm.

Regards,
Kris.

Smutly
Participant
@smutly

Just a thought, if you have a copy of Photoshop and a few ideas, you could design the major part of it yourself. This would be the best way to have yourself and your tattooist on the same page. Free tattoo design tutorial at http://colinfbrennan.wordpress.com/2010/02/16/lower-back-tattoos-placement-and-content/
This tutorial was written for a lower back tattoo but can be easily adapted to design a tattoo for almost any body part.
Hope I am not breaking any Forum rules by supplying this link to one of my blogs but I am not selling anything, merely giving away instructions that should help you.

wak
Participant
@wak

If you feel that you don’t have the artistic skills to design it yourself, then its fine to go in and ask your tattoo artist to design it for you. You’ll have a consultation with him/her and you’ll have a chance to tell them what style you are thinking about, what colours etc. You can also go through some Flash together and pick out things you like or don’t like. It will sometimes cost you a design fee (which is of course fair enough) but it will be worth it go get something you feel comfortable about.

In a nutshell, don’t worry about not knowing how to design it – just get in there and book a consultation with an artist.

Good luck!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.