Mark23
Participant
@mark23

Hey, I got a bamboo tattoo in Thailand on a holiday last summer of 3 stars down my inside left arm. Lol, I didn’t realize how popular stars actually were and I always liked them since I was younger so I went with them. They look well and are positioned very nicely with the biggest one on my inside bicep and the other two just on my forearm.

Anyway with all the people who have them I just feel so unoriginal that they are just blank outlines and they don’t have any real design to them. So I’ve been thinking of getting something done with them as they are big enough so there is a bit of room to do stuff with them. One of the ideas that is in my head is getting them sketched in with a NYC skyline and nice blended sunset or something. I have seen some city skyline tattoos before and some look very well. I’m not sure though if I wanna colour them so perhaps some black ink shading of some skyscrapers.

Another idea was to maybe do one with a city skyline and shaded sunbeams like the ones on the Japanese rising sun flag. Not sure though if I want to go getting something that may resemble the Japanese rising sun flag as I plan on living in Japan for a while after college and it might go down wrong.

Here are some pics I found surfing the net (sorry they are not great) but just to give you an idea. Would really appreciate any feedback,
Thanks

skyline_us_newyork_city_vectors_5434.jpg

jose.jpg

Sherav
Participant
@sherav

Hi

If you take any advice at all do not get their flag tattooed. They really, really, hate it and find it offensive to the extreme. It is a cultural taboo – similar to the reaction of me as a Brit getting a burning stars and stripes flag – it can have that effect.

They tolerate a lot of western influence on their art but you have to remember that the majority of Japanese find tattoos taboo and often linked to criminal behaviour.

The skyline tattoos loom superb if done by a pro artist and the stars themselves can represent the images of several NYC skylines (Statue of Liberty, Empire States, Rockerfella etc) or incorporate a shaded big apple symbol.

If you get a good artist it will look great.

Take Care
Matthew

Mark23
Participant
@mark23

Many thanks Sherav, yeah I remember suggesting a rising sun type tattoo to somebody before and they said that it might not go down well if you were ever in Japan. Lol, I hope to teach English in Japan for a while so just as well I found out it is a cultural taboo. So would you avoid those sunbeams all together? I am hoping to get the stars done this summer when I am in New York. I think it would be a nice tribute to place as I have been fascinated with it since I was very young. Also there should be plenty of good tattoo artists around. Have you any advice for when I go looking for an artist, like should I be trying to go to certain types of artists that might specialize in different types of drawings etc?

Thanks

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.