vallyrj
Participant
@vallyrj

Hi, I am new to the forum and I am looking for an outsiders opinion on the tattoo I am wanting to get.

I am wanting a celtic trinity knot that says Families are Forever around it and my son’s initials inside one section of the lines.

The reason that I want this tattoo is because my husband and I adopted our son when he was 3 weeks old, so it really has meaning to us. I plan on adding our childrens initials or first names into the lines of the knot as we adopt them.

Really what I want to know is the celtic knot way overdone? If it is does anyone know of any other symbols that mean forever, eternity, or family.

Thanks in advance, Valerie

Sherav
Participant
@sherav

Hi

In answer to your question no Celtic knotwork is far from over done. The simple fact is that many tattoos pass themselves off as knotwork when in fact they are just meaningless flash designs.

Aesthetically there is nothing wrong with that – many look great but true knotwork is superb I have several books on the subject.

They make awesome tattoos.

As for other symbols there is the triquetra (which means unity and often refers to that of the Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit)

http://www.religioustattoos.net/Other_Tattoos/Triquetras/index.php

There is the infinity symbol (hundreds on google images)

There are family crests and mottos

This one polished up would make a nice tattoo

http://static-p4.fotolia.com/jpg/00/13/90/63/400_F_13906305_d8t4I6s74hl6ioEenkM6OjMq4t4I1XLU.jpg

Hope it helps.

Matthew

Aussie_Al
Participant
@aussie_al

I agree with Matt – Celtics are far from overdone! 😉

vallyrj
Participant
@vallyrj

thanks for the feedback. I just wanted to see what others thought, outside of my friends and family, before I made my final decision.

I just found this symbol on line and it is a symbol for adoption. I think that this is probably what I will end up getting and leave all of the wording out. I will change up the colors and stuff to make it my own.
http://community.discovery.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4201956068/m/7411925568

Now where to put it.:rolleyes:

If anyone else has any other ideas then I would love to hear them.

ontwo
Participant
@ontwo

Knotwork takes a talented artist. I’ve even been turned down by an artist because he said he didn’t have the experience. The design above is just OK in my honest opinion. I’m more of a fan of the more intricate, traditional celtic knotwork

Ross_W
Participant
@ross_w

I dont see much Celtic knot-work much, probably because it takes a good artist to do it well. If you can find an artist that can pull it off properly, do it!

vallyrj
Participant
@vallyrj

The artist I use has done tattoos for many years and is very professional. She owns her own tottoo shop and has been on the cover of tattoo magazine so I trust her work completely. I am going to take in the heart and knot design that I found and have her fix it up some today (if she is in). I have decide that I want that design but I dont wnat it to look so blocky and thick.

Outlaw
Participant
@outlaw

celtic work looks awesome if done properly, its all in the shading…… but i would not have colour in it at all, i would suggest stick with b&g and have your loved ones initials or names inserted within the weave 😉

mugwump
Participant
@mugwump

There is nothing worse than the shitty execution of a celtic tatt but at the same time there is almost nothing better than truely fucking awesome celtic ink…

Good luck with your challenge…

Chief D
Participant
@chief-d

Good tattoos will never be overdone, even if everyone decides its the style. Due to the longevity of your tattoo, chances are good you will see the public go through a celtic phase, where everyone gets one.
Tribal is pretty overdone, but 90 % of what you see is really poor quality. Good tribal designs still make good tattoos. The same is true of Celtic. True knotwork designs in ink are pretty rare because they are intricate and hard to pull off by a tattooist that isnt very experienced. The interlocking bands require concentration and solid, confident line work. Shading is key as well.
1. Settle on your design
2. Find a qualified Professional you trust
3. Go for it!

eatatjerms
Participant
@eatatjerms

The one I got was flash. I’m glad it’s covered now. LOL

vallyrj
Participant
@vallyrj

I just got my new tattoo a few hours ago and I love it. Here is a pic. It is still a litte swollen so it will smooth out in a couple of days.

On-LineTattooPicture.jpg

Sherav
Participant
@sherav

Very neat work.

I am glad you got it done and looks well on your leg.

Take Care
Matthew

Tajen
Participant
@tajen

Cute! That was a very painless spot for me:) Looks very clean.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.